Thread: Sgt (later F/L) C G Olsen, 77 and 51? Sqdns, 1941-1942

Thanks

Default Sgt (later F/L) C G Olsen, 77 and 51? Sqdns, 1941-1942

I am researching Danish (UK born) WO/AG, F/L Charles Gordon Olsen, cf.
    http://www.danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=65

He joins RAFVR in May 1940 and is posted to No. 77 Sqn at Leeming in July 1941. According to a letter he has been "transferred to another squadron and also another station" on 12 Dec 1941.

The station is RAF Dishforth. This leads me to suggest that the squadron is 51 Sqn stationed at Dishforth at the time and also operating Whitleys.

Would anyone have access to No. 77 and/or 51 Sqn ORB or other sources, which could possibly confirm the transfer?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel,
    The ORB does not record him coming into 51 squadron, but his name first appears as a member of P/O Towsey's crew on 23rd Dec 41 on ops to "Beld" Cologne.

P/O Towsey
    P/O Osborne
    Sgt Storey
    Sgt Olsen.
    Sgt Marshall.
    Sgt Vine.

28th Dec, Emden,

Thanks

Alan,
    Excellent! I guess it is common, that the ORBs does not note NCO postings.

Thank you.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Is this the same Towsey?

"An interesting and unusual operation was flown by Bomber Command on 28 February 1942, when Whitleys from No. 51 Squadron dropped paratroops at Bruneval, on the French coast near Le Havre, to capture vital parts of the radar apparatus installed there. Five of the captains of the twelve Whitleys which took part were New Zealanders - Flight Lieutenant Towsey, Flying Officer Coates, and Flight Sergeants Cook, Clow, and Pohe.

There was a bright moon, little cloud and only slight haze, so that the aircraft were able to drop the paratroops almost exactly as planned and the raid proved a complete success. The apparatus was dismantled and carried to a small cove, where, together with the men and their prisoners, it was embarked on ships of the Royal Navy. Casualties among the paratroops were one killed, seven wounded, and seven missing."

"Squadron Leader C. P. Towsey, DFC; Auckland; born Hamilton, 2 May 1918; musician; joined RNZAF Sep 1940."

(from http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-1RAF-c12.html)

Regards

Mikkel

Thanks

Can't answer that one for definate Mikkel, as i only have the 39 to dec 41 book, Towsey was posted in on 27/08/41, but up to end of Dec 41, he was the only pilot by the name of Towsey on the squadron.
    As for Olsen, the ORB does record NCO's coming in, but the December postings have been omitted from the book.
    Alan

Thanks

Alan,
    Thank you for clarifying.

Mikkel

Thanks

Default C P Towsey

Cyril Patrick Towsey DFC joined the RNZAF 29.9.1940
    For a short while after the war he was a pilot on the New Zealand-Soloman Islands mail service.
    He was the grandson of Arthur John Towsey an organist at Dunedin Cathedral.
    He was the great grandson of Charles Augustus Towsey who came from Henley on Thames and was the original founder of the now famous Royal Henley Regatta and was secretary from 1838 until just before his death in 1883
    See;
    http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2-1RAF-c12.html

Thanks

thank you, Mikkel