Thread: ACSB and ACMB

Thanks

Default ACSB and ACMB

Hello,

Does anyone know how many Aviation Candidates Selection Boards (ACSB's) there were in Britain during the war?
    I wonder also if the Aviation Candidates Medical Board was an integral part of the ACSB or if it did operate more or less independently?

Thanks,

Erwin

Thanks

Erwin,

I may be wrong but I think that the AC stands for Air Crew, not Aviation Candidate.

Errol

Thanks

Default ACSB and ACMB

Hi Erwin

ACSB does indeed stand for Aviation Candidate Selection Board and at their peak there are 30 listed in the Confidential Air Force Lists.

ACMBs are not listed as independent units so I assume they were part of an ACSB

Malcolm Barrass
    www.rafweb.org

Thanks

Default Acsb

My father was assessed at ACSB No. 11 on 8th Dec 1941, but didnt actually enlist until a month later. Does anyone know if that was typical?
    He was reccommended for both a commission and to be trained as Aircrew Observer. Can I assume the ACSB also assessed for commissions as there is no other selection board mentioned on his record sheets. In the end he must have failed some test or other as he was ultimately neither commissioned nor became aircrew, but went on to become a ground radar observer.

Are the papers from the ACSBs at Kew?

Thanks

I would agree with Errol that the 'AC' would be 'Air Crew'. I dont know how many there were, but I think they were at the Reception Centre's, the first point of contact where, going on education and a few routine aptitude tests an initial assesment was made (which was often altered when a candidate failed to come up to expectation for one of a host of reasons). As is still the norm, the medical board was a part of the same set up.