Default 430817 - Unaccounted airmen - 17-8-1943

What were the places of death registration of:

A - Died on active service:
    LAC Reginald J. CARTER - 752251 - Age 39, and
    P/O Brian W. NORMAN - 145436.

B - Killed on active service:
    F/O (Pilot) David W. NOAD - 138002.

C - Reported 'Missing' but buried in U.K.:
    F/Sgt (WOp/Ag) W. (no first name !) BEAUMONT - 1111883 (Casualty Communique 300, Flight 4-11-1943 p.516 a F/Sgt W."H.H." Beaumont reported 'Missing', buried Fettercairn Cem., Kincardine), and
    LAC Harry WARD - 1112858 (Casualty Communique 318, Flight 16-12-1943 p.680 reported 'Missing', buried Irvinestown Church of Ireland Churchyard, Fermanagh.

D - Proposed aircraft losses:
    Magister I - N3884 - 2 FIS - dived into ground Thornton Mains, near Laurencekirk, Kincardine (F/Sgt Beaumont ?).
    Tiger Moth II - DE711 - 1 EFTS - spun into ground Litchborough, Northamptonshire.
    Beaufort I - JM459 - 5 (C)OTU - crashed in forced landing near Toome, Co. Antrim.
    Oxford I - LB448 - 6 (P)AFU - dived into ground at night Little Rissington.

E - Also looking for info on cause of death of following airmen missing or buried outside U.K.:
    Sgt (Pilot) John T. FARRELLY - 1238493 - 23 Sqn (Luqa, Malta), buried Syracuse War Cem., Italy, and
    Sgt Louis SABINE - 659095 - same unit as Sgt Farrelly and buried same cemetery.
    Could not find a matching Mosquito serial in my files.

Sgt (Pilot) Roy MATTHEWS - 645055 - 250 Sqn (Agnone, Italy), commemorated Column 271 of the Alamein Memorial. Reported 'Missing' in Casualty Communique 297, Flight 21-10-1943 p. 462.
    Could not find a matching Kittyhawk serial in my files.

Regards and thanks for your help.
    Henk.

Thanks

Hi Henk,

Harold Beaumont on the 2 FIS Magister. Death cert says he is currently employed by BOAC.
    Pilot is also on death cert as Louis Alfred Wilkins also BOAC.

No.5 (C)OTU P/O C F Hall safe no other reported injuries.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hello,

Capt. (L.A.) Wilkins, leading the operation, and his radio officer N. H. Beaumont, left Leuchars in G-AGGF on 17 August, 1943. Soon after take-off he radioed that he was returning. No more was heard, but a gamekeeper on 8 September found wreckage in Glen Esk. The aircraft had hit a mountain at 2,500 feet on approach in bad weather, and had become B.O.A.C.'s first Mosquito loss.

Brief Notes on B.O.A.C. Mosquitoes.

G-AGGF (HJ720) Mk.VI
    To BOAC - 24-4-1943
    Lost on service 11B452 - 17-8-1943
    Wreckage found at Invermairk, Glen Esk - 8-9-1943
    Written off - 20-8-1943 (4 months with BOAC)
    Capt.Wilkins and R/O Beaumont - killed.

See:
    Mosquito.
    Sharp,C.Martin & Michael J F Bowyer.
    London:Faber,1971
    pp.332 &.335

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 24th September 2011 at 18:43.

Thanks

Hi Col,

Mossie crash makes far more sense than my notes giving then on the Magister.

Location was given as Hill of Easter which is closer to Glen Esk than Laurencekirk.

I'll amend my file details.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Henk

LAC Reginald J. CARTER - 752251 - Marylebone, London
    P/O Brian W. NORMAN - 145436 - Shrewsbury, Shropshire
    F/O (Pilot) David W. NOAD - North Cotswolds (LB448?)

Malcolm

Thanks

Henk.
    16/17th August 43, 23sqdn, Single strafing sorties carried out, Sgt Farelly (Mosquito HX820) went to Taranto, and was later heard to call that he was returning on one engine. In an attempt to land at Cassibille, the Mosquito overshot and crashed and burned out. Sgt Sabine was killed instantly, Sgt Farelley died of his injuries shortly after.
    Alan

Thanks

Hi Henk,
    Mosquito G-AGGF flying from Stockholm to Leuchars. ( Ball bearing flight I believe).Crew were F/Sgt H Beaumont W/O buried at Kincardine and Capt L.A Wilkins of BOAC, memorial at Dundee Crematorium. The correct location is Easter Balloch hill, some metal components are still visible on the scar on the hill.
    Strangely I have no note of a casualty on Magister N3884.

Alan.

Thanks

Thanks all for your help. I had Capt (BOAC) WILKINS on G-AGGF (HJ720) however with a Radio Offr (BOAC) N.H. BEAUMONT. Couldn't find both on the CWGC website. Problem growing bigger as CWGC has a F/Sgt W. BEAUMONT - 1111883 killed 17-8-1943 and buried Kincardine. Don't know with my poor knowledge of the English language how to make this clear to the CWGC. Who may hadle this for me ?
    Wreckage in 2006 still on the crash location; 608 kg of freight/mail (ball bearings ?) lost.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Henk,

CWGC does have the correct data for Beaumont, see

http://www.cwgc.org/search/SearchResults.aspx?surname=beaumont&initials=h&war =0&yearfrom=1943&yearto=1943&force=&nationality=&s end.x=39&send.y=7

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Henk,

None of the reports, both AIB and BOAC, have Beaumont as N.H., they all have H. Beaumont or in some drafts just Mr Beaumont.

Also the aircraft was flying from Leuchars to Stockholm, but was returning due to an unspecified fault, the cause of which was not determined.

There wasn't a load sheet in the reports so I am not entirely sure what it was carrying, I know there was mail and a quantity of film spools being carried in the nose. Ball bearing would normally be carried on the return flight from Stockholm as that was an import route.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/