Thread: Catalina AH545

Thanks

Default Catalina AH545

Hello Everyone,

No.119 lost another Catalina on 14.07.42. I am looking for details on the circumstances of this loss. Regarding the crew, I have the following and possible names:

JE BACON - 907761
    SL BEAMONT - 533794
    P BRAY - 1100949
    CW COOKE 959044
    AHT DAVIES - 525451
    A FENNELL - 47391
    RC GRAHAM - 653361 (unsure as reported as dead the following day)
    WR NORLEY - 911704
    JN TEW - 981687

I imagine that some of the above mentioned were passengers only for this flight, but I don't know who were part of the crew (help needed), and if other personel were in board and survived as surprisingly only RAF personel is here reported. Was was the purpose of this flight? Note that there only NCOs but one, something unusual (groundcrew in board?).

Any information of this flight would appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil,

the AB serials book is not much helpful - only stated the date and "believed lost on ferry flight"

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

But check also this page:

http://www.joeoloughlin.co.uk/?p=71

There is the crew + that plane failed tu return from A/S patrol...
    Also there is info that this plane was the one which spotted the Bismarck.

Pavel
    Last edited by CZ_RAF; 28th September 2011 at 06:05. Reason: add info

Thanks

Default 210 orb

Thanks for the leads. However nothing is reported on 119 ORB which was not operational at that time. May be a crew sent to collect the Catalina from 210 Sqn and lost during ferry flight.

Does anyone has 210 ORB for checking if something is told about AH545 in July 42?

Thanks

Phil

Thanks

Hi Phil,

from my past research I can add that it is not so probable that for transporting a plane there will be a whole crew of 10 aboard! I know that for example 240 Sq was transporting new Catalinas in 3-4 men.
    So from this point of view it looks like first attempt for A/S patrol taken by one of the unit Flight CO (?) ?

Hope someone can chekc the ORB for you - also station ORB maybe helpful - I suppose the plane took off from the Lough Erne(?).

Pavel

Thanks

Phil,
    Little help....
    Have on file that also S/Ldr Lawrence G. BELCHEM - 26172 was killed. His name is on Panel 65 of the Runnymede Memorial.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

I realise that this is an old post but I have recently joined the forum and I am related to the navigator on this flight and I may have some information which you may find of interest

Thanks

I have been in touch with Nevil and his information related the reported shoot down of an aircraft by 1./Bordflieger Gr 196

Chris Goss has this on his records so I think this is not in issue at all, seems most likely that was the fate of the aircraft. (See this TOCH thread)

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=44924

I noted that the unit for S/Ldr Belcham was changed to 199 Sqn on the scanned register page on CWGC website, but a different scan on Ancestry.com shows it was printed as 119 Sqn originally, and its also 119 Sqn on GRO overseas war deaths index. And of course, 199 Sqn wasn't formed until November 1942.

The ORB for 119 Sqn doesn't directly mention this loss as there was a detachment to Pembroke Dock for 'search' duties. (I cannot read the word due to watermark but believe its search. I find a mention on 20 May 1942 that PO Fennell and Buckle were detached to Pembroke Dock. The Squadron was at this time of course located at Lough Erne.

Then on July 16th there is the note that
    received signal this morning reporting casualties on detached party at Pembroke Dock - all missing

The confusion in records probably comes from the nature of flying that was being done from Northern Ireland, all seems to be training flights at that time. And the following month they did get assigned to Ferry duties.
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 3rd December 2018 at 23:13.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com