Thread: S/Ldr C Martindale

Thanks

Default S/Ldr C Martindale

Gentlemen,

A real long shot here, but looking for any details on the above squadron leader who joined No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron in March 1945. Interested in other squadrons he may have served with prior to 218 Squadron.

Cyril Martindale 147551 RAFVR

Any pointers welcome.

TIA

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 3rd October 2011 at 06:41.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve, Best I could do, no luck with the LG:
    Sqn Ldr Christopher Martindale
    Posted to 500 Sqn in 1936 he then instructed Polish pilots in preparation for the Battle of Britain and continued as an instructor until being posted to 218 Sqn as a pilot on Wellingtons and Lancasters. Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry,

Thanks for the post mate but I don't think this is "my" man.

All the very best

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Gents,

The Martindale Terry found was Christopher Bernard Martindale, 72527.

The Martindale Steve is asking about was born March 1912, Commissioned 29/8/43, highest rank post war S/L 1/7/53 and retired Supply Branch 29/3/61. (RAF Retired List 1975)

Looking at Birth register gives a probable of Mother Maiden Name Spear and a Birth registered in Watford.

Looks like a "blanket stacker"

Commissioned into the equipment branch from Temp Flight Sgt - OR Service number 1256200
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36314/supplements/95/page.pdf

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Gents, I saw that blanket stacker when I was looking at the LG. With some presumption, I assumed that a posting to 218 Sqn would be a GD. Apologies and regards , Terry

Thanks

Terry / Ross,

I am at a total loss conflicting information from the association give both Cyril & Christopher as the man in question, are I right in that Cyril was not GD. ?

Another source still within the association states Colin Martindale. !!

ANY help very much appreciated.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve,

Yes Cyril is shown in both Air Force List and London Gazette as Supply Branch for his entire service career. His name and service number matches that given in you first post.

Christopher had a different service number to that given and his service history pre war is RAFO - AAF - RAFVR. He has left the service by May1939.

The detail given for Christopher as No.500 sqn etc fits with RAFO - AAF and would have been my first choice but a pilot who had been flying from the onset of 1939 would have completed his tours by 1945 so would have been unlikely to recall to Bomber Command unless to admin/intel duties.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    Hi Steve,

Yes Cyril is shown in both Air Force List and London Gazette as Supply Branch for his entire service career. His name and service number matches that given in you first post.

Christopher had a different service number to that given and his service history pre war is RAFO - AAF - RAFVR. He has left the service by May1939.

The detail given for Christopher as No.500 sqn etc fits with RAFO - AAF and would have been my first choice but a pilot who had been flying from the onset of 1939 would have completed his tours by 1945 so would have been unlikely to recall to Bomber Command unless to admin/intel duties.

Regards
    Ross

Ross,

I have just been told that it is a Christopher I am after, not sure if it is the same guy who operated with No.500 Squadron, the Christopher I am researching is in his 90's and still with us. !!

Regards

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~