Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AM form 1180 Hendon + Air Historical Cards

Thanks

Thank you all for this very interesting and extremely useful information. I have certainly learnt a great deal more then I hitherto knew about researching crashed, damaged and written off aircraft.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 5th October 2011 at 03:43.

Thanks

Very helpful the kind of information that could save one alot of time. Thanks.

Thanks

Default More detail on the 765?

Someone (was it Dennis?) said ...
    'The Form 765 is a larger, depending on the format, two to four page, with all crew listed by initials and service numbers, a little more detail on the aircraft and flight and then typed up synopsis of the incident and statements of reasons/blame/findings from commanding officers.'

I apologise if I mistook this for a board of enquiry. This element (AM1180) for Spitfire EN180 was abbreviated to about half a dozen acronyms.

Sounds like the AM1180, pretty much covers what 765 does at the AHB.

As I say in wartime the enquiry is usually necessarily brief (maybe there are exceptions).

But close relatives only I gather can access the 765's.
    So what has been said on here (thankyou folks) is that there is no evidence (here at least) of anything more detailed than is given on the AM1180, on the 765, but that presumably doesn't rule out the possibility of finding something more.

Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 7th October 2011 at 13:35.

Thanks

I prefer the 765 if I can get my hands on it since its typed and most important for me and irish Crashes is the full crew are listed. I've seen the example of the Form 1180 and Form 765 for a crash this week and they contain different details, the 1180 in this case containing more information. I've another F765s that has an appended eye witness count, lots of variations. So yes ok, if you can get your hands on the 1180 I suppose your ok unless you would like the full crew list ....... there are benefits and none depending on what your after.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default 1180 vs 765

Thanks Dennis.
    I've contacted RAF Hendon for a session in the said cupboard.
    If not I'm a bit stuck,
    putting it mildly.
    Dave

Thanks

Hi Gents,

>As a market test I have a couple of reels that DoRIS supplied to me being converted by a commercial company. The quoted rate is:
    To scan 16mm microfilm reels at 200dpi, jpeg images – 2.5p per image.
    CD/DVD - 5.00 each.

Until the pilot is done I cannot say the total cost per reel.<

Got my converted reels of 16mm AM1180s back from the company.

Works out approx 1900 images per reel so about 47.50.

So DVD from DoRIS should be just over double the microfilm cost.
    DVD is in positive form and at 200 dpi zoom to 500% is still readable to decypher the handwritten text.

I suspect that ease of access will lead me to convert all my present and future microfilm to DVD image but against this with microfilm I do not to worry about each new computer OS will eliminate support for the photo image access/display on disk.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

You said

"I do not to worry about each new computer OS "

I take it you mean you do worry about OS upgrades meaning that in the future jpeg will be unreadable? I would not worry that much.. Of course with computer technology things always improve but someone always writes a converter to the lastest format. Of course you have to spend time converting. However. I have converted all my JPEGs to PDF format as I feel this will be around a long long time

Paul

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Not worried about the jpeg format rather the means of storage.

I'm going to show my age now as over the years I've used the following for storage of records associated with aircraft.

Magnetic Tape Reel (Kent PDP 8 and 11s)
    Magnetic Platter Disk
    8" Floppy
    5 1/4" floppy
    Audio magnetic cassette tape
    3 1/2" floppy
    ZIP tape
    CD
    DVD
    USB1 and USB2 Flash disk
    Memory cards
    External drives up to the max partition size of current Operating Systems.

I have transcriptions of files that were done less than 10 years ago eg 2002 that are on 3.5" floppy but none of my current computers have a drive capable of reading the files.

I need to add an external drive to access the files. Once read I can display them as legacy files but it's that initial step of reading them that is the hurdle. As support stops for a particular storage format so does the update of drivers for the current O/S and after a few cycles of upgrade versions the unsupported driver is not tested with updates and corruption starts.

Take a look about your old backup file box and see how much you stored at the time can be loaded into your current computer now.

Against all this the microfilm reader has continued to display all films/fische bought or created from the 1970s to date regardless of age of storage media and no periodic upgrade of hardware.

8 track, Betamax, cassette, video all storage media that in recent memory have died as support for the player format has been commercially withdrawn.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

I understand your problem now.. All my files fit with 100 GB and are on my laptop and backed up to external drive. I have no Data floppy disks, CD's DVD's in the house anymore!

I think the way forward will to be store them on the "Cloud" and let someone else with more resources (which I accept you will have to pay for) to worry about the storage. However, you can get some storage for free!

Paul

Thanks

What do these mean on the front left side of the form 1180?

IM/P - all three letters written.

A OC - first letter printed, last two letters written
    P CN - ditto
    E OK - ditto
    U OK - ditto
    A IF - ditto
    X OK - ditto
    W IA - dtto

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 20th October 2011 at 11:29.