Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Captain Navigator"

Thanks

Alan

I have been meaning to answer this thread for ages. When I first saw it I bookmarked it as I could not log on, and then forgot about it!

Generally speaking, the pilot of an aircraft was always the Captain, as it was usually down to him what happened on board, such as in the event of an emergency. Although this might mean that a Sergeant was Captain in a crew otherwise half filled with officers, it seems to have worked well.

However, in some cases, for a multitude of reasons, another member of the crew (in most cases it seems to have been the nav, who holding the 'A - Z' was also in a strong position) was designated as Captain of the aircraft and thus had the final say on things such as aborting an op, ditching, bailing out and other things. I think the decision was made at a higher level, rather than simply amongst the crew, and to identify the man in question beyond doubt, a 'Captain of Aircraft' armband was introduced by Air Ministry Letter S.100641/P.1 of June 30, 1944, and officially authorised by Air Ministry Order N 861 of 24th August 1944.

It took the form of a blue/grey serge band, fastened by six popper studs, and in the centre a light blue wool felt panel bearing a large red woven letter 'C', surmounted by the standard brass or gilt eagle and crown badge as worn on the side cap.

It is likely that the armband was introduced to officially recognise the Captain when it was someone other than the pilot, although the practise had gone on for a while as you have found.

I have one of these armbands, and overall have seen about five, although I have only ever seen one photo of it being worn, the trade of the man in question I forget.

Thanks

Thanks for the additional information Airman, i also now have a copy of "Observers and Navigators" on my shelf.