Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAAF Airman in Canada

Thanks

Default RAAF Airman in Canada

I am trying to get more background info on an RAAF airman who went to Canada before going to the UK. So my question is ... can anyone tell me what - No3 "M" depot Edmonton was?

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I was No. 3 Manning Depot (MD), Edmonton.

Some photos you can find here:
    http://www.thewhpfamily.com/wwout2b/index.htm

Generally MD was a center where new cadets were accepted into service, passed medical exams, were selected for trades, equipped by uniform and kit, were learning the Air Force law, do some marching, etc. before being posted to Initial Training School in the BCATP

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Many thanks Pavel.
    One question if you'll excuse my ignorance.....what was BCATP?

Thanks

British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

There is obviously a great deal more about your Australian. His enlistment in Oz and what he did before being shipped to Canada and what he did afterward - shall you be sharing that with us?

The BCATP (and it also had other names) was a Commonwealth wide training scheme and there is an enormous amount published about it. Can I suggest you google it and get a Wikipedia brief on it for starters.

Old Duffer

Thanks

I think Pavels' comments are accurate for a Canadian signing up in Canada, but I suspect that an Australian would have gone through these basics in Australia. The Canadian Manning Depot would be an "accounting" posting for these people, giving them an official home between their arrival in Canada and their assignment to, and travel to, their first Canadian school. This could take several days, as it is a big country.

You had to belong to some unit, even if you were never physicially there. Being on the Manning Depot books gave the military a way to track you, and somebody to bill for food and lodging. It also kept the MPs from arresting you if you were found wondering around the country.

Thanks

Well Bill, you are totally right, I was thinking that the RAAF airman was also trained in the BCATP. If not you are right - MDs was use also a "transfer" units where the airmen were attached for the period when traveling between two units, similarly like PRCs in UK were used for overseas journeys.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

There is obviously a great deal more about your Australian. His enlistment in Oz and what he did before being shipped to Canada and what he did afterward - shall you be sharing that with us?
    I am helping out a relative of his. All I hold on him is his record with 138 SD Sqdn flying out of Tempsford.
    He flew 21 Ops (3 were double Ops) and was KIA 26 Feb '45

Thanks

Are we talking about LK272 and Messrs Stanton and Tovey?

Old Duffer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Are we talking about LK272 and Messrs Stanton and Tovey?

Old Duffer
    Indeed we are.

Thanks

Bob
    This may not be relevant .
    My RAAF father trained in Australia then sailed to Britain early March '43 via USA & Canada ,presumably the Suez Canal wasn't safe ? He disembarked at San Francisco, went by train across USA to Massachussets .A month later he sailed to Britain from Pier 21, Halifax, Nova Scotia, on the troopship "Pasteur "landing at Bournemouth end of April '43A training friend who sailed with him told me of their movements & the name of the ship from Halifax . He had kept a diary !

I was able to get a photo of the "Pasteur" from the Museum at Pier 21

Anne