Thread: Sgt Malcolm Kirk Jackson RNZAF

Thanks

Default Sgt Malcolm Kirk Jackson RNZAF

Trying to find more regarding 414297 Sgt Malcolm Kirk JACKSON, RNZAF died 15th February 1943 and buried here in Newmarket, U.K. So far the only addition to the usual CWGC data is that he was with Air Flight Development Unit according to Aukland War Memorial Museum.

Thanks

Dear Newmarket
    I suggest you contact the RAF Air Historical Branch
    State the nature of your enquiry and whether you are related to the deceased.
    They will hopefully be able to tell you a few basics.

Air Historical Branch (RAF)
    Building 824, RAF Northolt, West End Road, Ruislip, Middlesex, HA4 6NG.
    ahb.raf@btconnect.com

Best wishes
    James

Thanks

Hi Newmarket

AFDU is actually Air Fighting Development Unit

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Malcolm.

This in another chap buried in Newmarket who I am trying to research. Got quite a bit about other RNZAF lads incluing photos but this one remains a mystery

Thanks

JAmes,

From my trilogy 'For Your Tomorrow - A record of New Zealanders who have died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Volume Two: Fates 1943-1998)’:

Mon 15 Feb 1943
    FIGHTER COMMAND
    Fighter affiliation with bomber
    Air Fighting Development Unit, RAF (Duxford, Cambridgeshire - 12 Group)
    Spitfire IIA P8468 - took off at about 0940 as ‘No 2’ to Flt Lt B G Collyns, RNZAF. Fifteen minutes later, as the pair swept low over Rowley Mile (aka Newmarket Heath) airfield, Suffolk, to inspect the surface prior to landing after heavy rain, accidentally turned into and collided with Collyns’ Spitfire P8440. The latter succeeded in making an emergency belly landing on the airfield, but P8468 crashed out of control, killing the pilot, who is buried at Newmarket. It was thought that he may have been momentarily blinded by the sun.
    Pilot: NZ414297 Sgt Malcolm Kirk JACKSON, RNZAF - Age 24. 386hrs (at least 141 on Spitfire). 11 ops.
    Collyns died on 20 August 1944 while flying with 19 Sqn, RAF.

And from Vol Three (Biographies & Appendices):

JACKSON, Sergeant Malcolm Kirk.
    NZ414297; b Chch 7 Jun 18; Chch TColl; car painter - C Hunton Ltd, motor builder, Chch. RNVR 3 yrs; RNZAF Levin/ITW as Airman Pilot u/t 27 Jul 41, 3EFTS 7 Sep 41, 1FTS 18 Oct 41, Pilots Badge [wef 29.11.41] & Sgt 10 Jan 42, att RAF & emb for UK 30 Jan 42, 3PRC 14 Mar 42, 17(P)AFU 29 Apr 42, 56OTU (Hurricane) 26 May 42, 485 Sqn RNZAF (Spitfire - 11 ops) 23 Aug 42, AFDU (Spitfire) 21 Dec 42, kaa 15 Feb 43. Newmarket Cemetery - O.380, Suff., England. Son of John & Alice Emma Jackson, Chch; h of Mary Kathleen Jackson (née Holland).

Errol

Thanks

Errol, you are simply brilliant. Mind you I was barking up the wrong tree, I had erroneously got Sgt Jackson down as a Navigator wo Spitfires did not come to mind. I had psotted that two Spitfies collided over Newmarket on that day and still did not put 2 and 2 together. The AFDU was at Duxford I did see that, but still did not get my head in gear..Thanks a lot for all your help

Thanks

Default Any info on siblings?

Does anyone have any info on Sgt Jackson's siblings, brothers, sisters? Are any still living? I have a personal interest in this. Thank you.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_raf View Post
    Hi Newmarket

AFDU is actually Air Fighting Development Unit

Malcolm