Thread: 252 Squadron

Thanks

Default 252 Squadron

My father in law's first cousin Pilot Officer Glyn Machin 122021 252 Squadron was killed in action on 1st August 1942. The death certificate says this is a presumed date and lists the place of death as 'in the sea off Matruh, Egypt. Are there any further details of what sorties etc were taking place at the time?

Thanks

I can't assist you much but I'm interested in the source of the death certificate, would it be possible to see a scan of it? As an overseas death I've wondered how these were issued/handled.

You've noticed thathe is buried in a joint grave with another 252 Squadron airman, P/O (Obs) C B A Nichols.

The loss may be mentioned in the book Armed Rovers but its of course at home right now.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi,

The crew:
    P/O A G G Machin
    Sgt C B A Nichols

Took off at 12:40 hrs for a Offensive Sweep sortie from RAF Edku in Beaufighter T5039.

Shot down by flak off Mersa Matruh and seen to crashland at Sidi Barrani before burning. Both crew rest in Halfaya Sollum War Cemetery, Egypt.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Interesting case. Dennis has C B A Nichols as Plt Off (presumably from CWGC?). Ross has him as a Sgt (presumably from the ORB?). The LG, however, records his Commissioning from T/Flt Sgt (963344) to Plt Off (131141) wef 21 Jul 42. Presumably his new rank slides were still "in the Post" when he copped it?
    It just shows that you can't believe everything that you see in print!! A warning to the wise!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 7th October 2011 at 13:23.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

When I started with Coastal Command losses I soon came across several problems of rank on death.

RCAF promotions could take several months after death to be promulgated, RAF ranks may be temp and not confirmed, men may have been locally demoted for a reason but listed rank not altered.

I came across one case where a man was promoted to Temp Flt/Sgt (signed on the service record by the same OC) but for several months the ORBs still gave his rank a Sgt. Six months after his temp promotion the letter hand written by his OC recommending commission clearly gives his rank as Sgt in numerous places.

Faced with this I made a decision to use the rank they were known to the unit as having at time of death unless this was an obvious error.

Hence Sgt in the ORB and although the "By Authoriry" had decided he was a P/O they had not communicated that fact yet to the Middle East via channels.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.