Thread: Ambleteuse Lancaster Crash

Thanks

Default Ambleteuse Lancaster Crash

Hi All - does anyone know of a Lancaster that crashed near Ambleteuse? sorry no other details at all.

Thanks. Neil

Thanks

I would have thought there might be several Lancasters lost in the Pas de Calais area, together with other four engined types.

A problem I have encountered with trying to pinpoint aircraft crash sites is that 'near Windsor' in one report turns out to be 'near Slough' in another.

Is there any context behind your enquiry which might help date the loss, even if it's only that crew are buried at such-and-such a place?

Old Duffer

Thanks

Thanks for repliying - the only other details I have are via a crashsite thet is referenced on Google earth as below -

The crash site is eastward from Ambleteuse (F) , with the following link you can find it.

http://maps.google.de/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=50.811575,1.635804&spn=0.014101,0. 038452&t=h&z=15

It is between the Rue de Pre Communal and Rue de Marais.

Thanks Again

Neil

Thanks

Default Possibly PB129???

Hi Neil
    I am researching my Grandad's lost Lancaster, PB129 and I wondered if you got any further with this? Our crash date was the 26th Sept 1944 and the target was Cap Griz Nez, but the crash site so far is rather vague. Would be interested to hear if this thread brought anything to light. Many thanks
    Deborah
    Last edited by Deborah W; 24th May 2013 at 06:35.

Thanks

Hello

As Colin explains, the indication "near X town" is usually rather vague, often no direction and no distance.

I'd like to know the source of this information, as indeed, it might be that of Lancaster PB129, as pointed by Deborah. Some witnesses information in the MRES investigation mention the recovery of some items in the "pré communal" area of Ambleteuse, but this location is somewhat far from the target of that raid. Again, the crash site is located "near the target area" by some other sources, which is conflicting with the "near Ambleteuse" location.

Joss