Thread: 149 Squadron Allan Arthur Davies Navigator

Thanks

Default 149 Squadron Allan Arthur Davies Navigator

Hello

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help in researching my father who flew 28 missions between June, 1943 and May, 1944. He survived the war and died in 1996. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Paul Davies

Thanks

Hello,

There's a book about the Squadron, "Strong by night History and memories of No. 149 (East India) Squadron Royal Air Force 1918-19 - 1937-56" by John Johnston and Nick Carter. Published in 2000 by Air-Britain, ISBN 0-85130-313-7. This would be the first book to purchase to have an overall view of the Squadron and what its members did.

There are several Davies in the name index : Flying Officer A. and Sgt A.C.A. just for those which an A as initial. Each one has a mention in the main body of the book, the former is in a group picture, the latter is in a casualty list (in 1941).

The second source would be the Squadron Operations Record Book, a copy on microfilm can be found at The National Archives in Kew, London, under the reference AIR 27/1004. There are also appendices in the following files.

From that ORB, you should be able to rebuild the list of ops flown by your father. Do you still have his log-book ? I guess so, as you have the number and dates of his tour.

There should also be some combat reports from the air gunners, in the AIR 50 series.

Hope this helps

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 14th October 2011 at 07:38.

Thanks

Paul,
    Thanks to a much appreciated addition of the 149sqdn ORB which was kindly sent to me, to add to my collection, i can look through it for operations flown by your dad. If i do'nt start tonight, it'll definatley be tomorrow.
    Alan.
    Have you got dates for the 28 ops, at the moment i've managed to find 25.
    Last edited by AlanW; 13th October 2011 at 19:06.

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum. My uncle flew with 149 Squadron and I found the forum members of great help and assistance during my research.

If you've not already done so, you can get a copy of your dad's service Record from RAF Cranwell, . It's best to get the next of kin to apply, that way you get the full version. Here's a link to a page where you can download the relevant form. You'll also need to download the service specfic form from the link on the right hand column of the page:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/CorporatePublications/PersonnelPublications/ServiceRecords/RequestFormsForServicePersonnelDetailsNextOfKinFor m.htm

Joss is right "Strong By Night" is a good book. It is still available direct from the publishers and much cheaper that the one offered on a certain well known internet book shop!

Another site you may find of interest is the 149 Squadron association:http://www.mildenhallregister.stirlingpilot.org.uk/

Good luck with your research

Dave

Thanks

Dear All
    Many thanks for your prompt and really helpful replies. I'll follow up all of your leads and let you know the outcome

Is there a good site for photographs of the Squadron? I've a photo of my father with the rest of the crew - at the very least I'd like to add this to a website incase anybody is missing a picture of their loved ones

I'm really interested in the 'Operations Special' flights. Was the whole of the Squadron re-allocated to these flights as, towards the end of his tour, these formed the majority of my father's operations? My father talked about dropping supplies to the French resistance. Other than through the orbs, is it possible to find out any more information on these flights - destination, what dropped, to whom etc?

Dear Alan W
    According to my father's Flying Log Book, he flew on the following operations:
    5/6/43 Mining
    14/6/43 Mining
    21/6/43 Krefeld
    22/6/43 Mulheim
    24/6/43 Elberfeld
    25/6/43 Gelsenkirchen
    24/7/43 Hamburg
    25/7/43 Essen (returned early)
    27/7/43 Hamburg
    29/7/43 Hamburg
    30/7/43 Rhemsheid
    2/8/43 Hamburg (returned early)
    10/8/43 Nuremburg
    16/8/43 Turin
    30/8/43 Munchen Gladbach
    31/8/43 Berlin
    22/9/43 Hannover
    18/11/43 Mannheim
    28/1/44 Minelaying
    4/2/44 Operations Special
    10/2/44 Operations Special
    15/2/44 Operations Special
    7/3/44 Operations Special
    23/3/44 Laon
    18/4/44 Kiel Bay
    27/4/44 Operations Special
    28/4/44 Operations Special
    1/5/44 Operations Special

Which I think makes the 28, of which 26 successful

Would it be possible for you to send me copies of the orbs? I'd be happy to pay for the cost of copying and postage etc

Once again, many thanks
    Paul

Thanks

Another thought - is there a difference between mining and minelaying? And, as with the Operations Special, will the orbs (or other documents) say where this was done?

Many thanks

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    No difference in mining and minelaying, the normal ORB entry for this type of work, would be called "Gardening" and the area's concerned would be named after fruit and veg etc, although i see the 149 ORB actually refers to the work as "minelaying" I will send you a link to the codes.

Thanks

Hi Paul

With the Special Ops all the ORB says is "Special Operation - Duty Carried Out". I don't know if it's possible to get any further details of these missions.

The photo Joss mentioned in "Strong by Night" (page 73) shows the aircrew and groundcrew photographed alongside Stirling LJ263 OJ-P. One of the aircrew is named as Flying Office A. Davies and going by the other names I'm pretty certain it's your Dad is in the photo. A quick look at the ORB reveals that the other names all flew with A. A. Davies on many of the missions. Although it's not dated the photo may have been taken after the mission on 1/5/44 which appears to have been the crews final mission together, certainly with 149 squadron. By the way the photo caption is a bit misleading as it also mentions that the aircraft (LJ263) had a bit of a mishap with 2 or 3 bombs dropped through it's port wing on 17/07/44! Aircraft and crew returned safely.

With regard to the photo you have you could contact the 149 Squadron Association historian, Alan Fraser. I'm sure he'll know of somewhere. You can contact him on alan.fraserATstirlingpilot.org.uk (delete the AT and insert @)

Dave