Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Details for these casualties, Duke's School, Alnwick?

FreeBMD has at least 1 Robert L Dodds born in UK in the approx date range

Births Sep 1921
    Dodds Robert L Mother Maiden name: Gibson Tynemouth 10b 406

It is in the right general area for Alnwick

Just to complete the last piece of the Cook saga, Simon has the promised photo. However, there is an additional interest in that there is a Spitfire in the background which I strongly suspect is EP412.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    Just to complete the last piece of the Cook saga, Simon has the promised photo. However, there is an additional interest in that there is a Spitfire in the background which I strongly suspect is EP412.

Brian
    I'd just like to add my thanks on here as well as by e-mail for the photo Brian.

Regards

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    FreeBMD has at least 1 Robert L Dodds born in UK in the approx date range

Births Sep 1921
    Dodds Robert L Mother Maiden name: Gibson Tynemouth 10b 406

It is in the right general area for Alnwick
    I've not had any reply from the 214 Sqn website, but as you point out Tynemouth and Alnwick are about 35 miles apart. Add that to the information from Pavel about his RAF/RAFVR his service number and the mystery is still mysterious!

Simon

DODDS, Robert Leslie, 172519 - Canadian?

He may be but he was definately a Royal Air Force Officer as he is listed in London Gazette with that Serial Number

Simon,
    R.L. DODDS is something of an enigma in that he is buried in a Canadian War Cemeterary (Calais) and the C.W.G.C. does not record his next of kin. But was is the reason for disregarding the entry in "Forty Years On - the DSOB casualties", which gives his date of birth as 1 July 1921 with his parents living at Wooler at the date of his death?. His father was an inspector in the Northumbria Police and presumably moving with his parents around Northumberland and Tyneside he had a number of addresses and schools. The record shows him attending schools at Wooler, Alnwick and then Lemington, Newburn. The book also records him as being a member of the Alnwick Gazette, the weekly newspaper. In the acknowledgements for information for the book, the Gazette is credited as the main source for the info on Dodds. Admittedly, he does not appear on the Wooler, Alnwick or Newburn war memorials but from my research over the years I know that many of these "frequent movers" are not so recorded.

I have always had an interest in these casualties, being a DSOb (1951 - 1956), and was present as a youngster at the unveiling of the WW2 school bronze memorial plaque.

Regards

Jim

Hello Jim

Many thanks indeed for the additional information about P/O Dodds. This obviously confirms his identity (and nationality too!).

The mystery of his being identified as Canadian on the 214 Sqn website perhaps results from his burial in the Canadian Cemetery? I guess someone has got their wires crossed somewhere down the line.

Regards

Simon

Just a quick update of Dodds. I've had a reply from the administrators of 214 Sqn website. They've looked again at Leslie Dodds, and realised they'd entered the nationality as Canadian based on erroneous information that they had at the time, and will correct it soon.

Thanks for all your replies on this.

Regards

Simon