Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kazimierz Cerny-Holownia

Thanks

Default Kazimierz Cerny-Holownia

This man was a Polish airman, formerly of 304 Squadron, and stayed on in the RAF after WW2 - Squadron unknown. Polish records show that he was killed in an air crash on 20th December 1949 but show no further details. He is supposedly buried at the churchyard in Coningsby, Lincs - but I have not been able to confirm that. Nor have I been able to connect him with any air crash on that date. Can anybody help, please?

Thanks

Archivist

Only loss I have on record for that date would seem to fit: i.e.

Mosquito B.35 TH984 of Coningsby Stn/Flt dived into ground at Coleby during night overshoot (from Waddington?), with one fatality

dg

Thanks

I've got his name spelt CZERNY-HOLOWNIA.

He was a Navigator I and the Mosquito was operated as stated by Litcham Lad above.

The crew had overshot four attempts elesewhere and then diverted to Waddington. The pilot carried out an approach for familiarisation from which he overshot into the circuit but by this time he was under pressure and with fuel running low, he initiated another overshoot but the aircraft crashed in a level attitude 1 1/2 miles from the runway. The pilot was injured the navigator killed.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Kazimierz Czerny-Holownia

Thank you both for your replies which have both been extremely helpful and will help me considerably in creating his entry in my tribute site to 304 Squadron. (He was a member of that Squadron during the war.) I will also add the details of his death to Krzystek's List which is a permanent record of the fate of WWII Polish airmen.

I Googled the TH984 and found more information so I am happy with 3 sources!

Oldduffer's spelling is correct - that was just my dyslexic right hand.

Thanks again
    Neville

Thanks

Finally, check the Armed Forces Memorial site at Alrewas. I haven't checked but his name should be there (inscribed on the wall) and you can print a certificate for him. He is also recorded in the RAF Roll of Honour in St Clement Danes Church on the Strand London.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Kazimierz czerny-holownia

Thanks for that Oldduffer. Now all I need is a photograph of him and one of the grave. I'll be travelling to London in the near future so I'll make a diversion if I have the time.

Neville

Thanks

Try The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum at 20 Princes Gate (next to the Iranian Embassy of 1981 fame).

The institute's staff have always been helpful and the Polish seem to be meticulous in their record keeping. They were once able to show me the personal files for a couple of Poles who continued to serve in the RAF post-war and hence I was able to put some context to them for a lecture I was giving.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Kazimierz Czerny Holownia

Born: 28 December 1920 in Sawonie near Nowogrodek (now Belarus)
    Before September 1939 lived in Wilno (now Vilnius)
    2,5 years in Russian captivity
    1941-1942 Polish Army in USSR, Polish rank of szeregowy
    7 June 1942 - 15 January 1944 various trainings and courses (incl. Canada)- Polish rank of starszy szeregowy
    15 January 1944 - 28 June 1944 OTU - Polish rank of kapral
    28 June 1944 - 5 February 1945 - Polish No. 300 Squadron - navigator
    5 February 1945 - 5 May 1945 - 10 OTU - instructor, Polish rank of plutonowy
    5 May 1945 - 5 August 1945 Polish Cadets School
    Since 12 August 1945 Polish No. 304 Squadron Warrant Officer
    20 December 1948 promoted to Polish rank of podporucznik (1st officer's rank)
    Decorations - Polish Cross of Valour
    Married, 1 son - born in 1945

not sure if he continued service in RAF after the war. I would rather say that he joined RAF after the war as previously he was a member of PAF (under British command).

Thanks

Default Kazimierz

Thanks for that advice; I'm going to London at the end of this month, so I'll give them a try.

Thanks Peter S. That's a lot of information, but just what I have come to expect from you!

Thanks

For a photo try posting a request on Rootschat on the Lincs. page, lots of helpfull people on there.