Thread: Possible loss of a Lockheed Hudson, off Scilly Islands, on 15th November 1942

Thanks

Default Possible loss of a Lockheed Hudson, off Scilly Islands, on 15th November 1942

Hello,

I search information (unit, markings, forming and fate of the crew ....) about a Hudson, claimed as severely damaged, may be destroyed, by a Ju 88 from a Luftwaffe Wekusta, at 13h15 on 15th of November 1942, off Scilly Islands.

Thanks in advance

Pierre

Thanks

Pierre,

This might have been a 1404 Met Flight Hudson, but I'm advised there's no report of such an attack on this date in the ORB.

There was one a fortnight later on 28.11.42. Hudson N/1404 At 09.20 Posn. KQTQ3034. In this case the crew lost contact with the JU 88 after diving to sea level.

Peter Racklciff researched this period for "Even the Birds were Walking" and I pass the following on for interest:

"Walter Smith wrote to me concerning an attack from astern by a Ju88, when he was flying with skipper Freddie Finch. They were approaching the Scilly Isles on their final leg back to base, so the time and place are about right. They were lucky not to be shot-down; they were too relaxed and Stan Childs had vacated the gun-turret.

Walter was very lucky too, as parts of the radio disintegrated in front of him. Freddie took evasive action, and they were able to escape into cloud.

The crew of the Ju88 would certainly have reported their attack at de-briefing, almost certainly at an airfield in western France."

Unfortunately no date was provided, only that the incident occurred during the autumn of 1942. Smith's logbook had been destroyed and he was writing from memory.

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 16th October 2011 at 09:04.

Thanks

Pierre,

If the account I've described is the one you are after the Hudson's crew was:

P/O F Finch - pilot
    Sgt J O Blades - Navigator
    Sgt S Childs (RAAF) - Wop/AG
    Flt Sgt W Smith - Wop/AG

The ranks of the first three were correct for Jan 1942; Smith was commissioned in December 1942 so I've assumed he was a Flt Sgt at the time of the incident.

There are photographs of the crew in 'Even the birds were walking'. Regret aircraft number unknown.

All the above comes from 'Even the birds were walking'.

Brian

Thanks

Default Possible loss of a Lockheed Hudson

Thank you very much, Brian, for your information.

Pierre