Thread: Air Force lists usage help

Thanks

Default Air Force lists usage help

Hi all,

I would like to ask if someone can advice me ho to properly use Air Force lists?
    I have problem with several officers who in the later issues are mentioned in the index with a particular column but I am unable to find him there (both by automatic + manual search).

Anyone can explain me why they are mentioned in the index but not found in the list?

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

In some monthly editions certain sections were omitted but the reference to that section in the index wasn't

Can you give an example? Name and edition

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm, thanks for coming back.

One example I remember:

60299 Tulley A.C.

1. July 1943 he is present in col 900 what fits with the index reference

2. October 1944 he is present in col 865 what fits with the index reference

3. July 1945 index
    60299 Tulley A.C. 865
    but not present in this column and also not in any other column (I have tried automatic research, so possibly there might be an error in the OCR?)

There are few more examples from the column 900 who are present in July 1943 edition both in list + index but in July 1945 only in index as in column 900 but they are not there...

I suppose it might be in cases when there was no change in their rank for so long time? Would be possible that an officer commisioned in 1940 as an P/O would be still P/O in 1945?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel

By checking the London Gazette I found that Tulley was promoted to Flt Lt (ws) on 25 Jan 1945, so shouldn't have been in column 865 in the July 1945 edition.

On checking the Flt Lt lists, he appears in column 756m, so it appears the index compiler didn't make the change. I suspect this is the case in a number of situations.

No-one should have still been a Plt Off in 1945 if commissioned in 1941 but on the above experience it possible the change wasn't communicated.

A few years ago I checked through the RAFVR(T) section and found at least six Plt Offs who had supposedly held that rank for over 10 years and one for over forty years, which would have put him well over retirement age. I also found a colleague listed who had died 10 years previous to that list but the fact had not been passed on to the compilers of the Lists.

Malcolm

Thanks

Malcolm many thanks for solving Tulley for me!

Pavel