Thread: 99 Squadron crew

Thanks

Default 99 Squadron crew

I have been going through some liberation and internment reports of aircrew and have come across one by R66340 W/O R A Green RCAF, of 99 Squadron, who says that he was captured in Egypt on 31 July 1942. He does mention other crew, or the aircraft, though given 99 Squadron it would be a Wellington en route to the Far East.

I am assuming that this is loss which I missed in Volume One of Middle East and Mediterranean Bomber Losses, and would appreciate any help forum members can give me in identifying the particular aircraft, and the other crewmembers.

Thanks,

David

Thanks

Hi David,

Slight error in your BLME1/167 - 30-7-1942.

30-7-1942
    1 OADU (No.43 Group).
    Wellington IC HX580

In transit from Moreton-in-Marsh to the Middle East. It departed Gibraltar at 1141 for the Middle East. Nothing was heard from the aircraft and it did not reach its destination.

1376790 Sgt (Pilot) L W MEARS
    AUS400396 P/O (Pilot) Horace Spencer Wills FORDYCE* RAAF- PoW
    R66340 Sgt (Obs.) R A GREENE RCAF
    1365019 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) C MAXWELL
    AUS404207 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) George William Sergio CROMPTON RAAF +

In a statement by P/O Fordyce who became a PoW, he reported that the aircraft was attacked by two enemy aircraft and shot down into the sea. Sgt Crompton RAAF, was severely wounded in the attack but refused to leave the turret during the engagement. When the aircraft crashed into the sea, the other crew members who were rescued were unable to release Sgt Crompton from the crashed aircraft. In 1949 it was recorded that Sgt Crompton had lost his life at sea.

www.awm.gov.au/catalogue/research_centre/pdf/rc09125z017_1.pdf

See: p.197 of 479

* Fordyce was later involved in the "Great Escape".

You will find the pertinent files of Crompton and Fordyce digitised at the NAA

There is a bit more.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th October 2011 at 05:10.

Thanks

Thanks, Col. There will be a revised entry in the Addenda to Volume Two.

David

Thanks

Col. AHB advised that this was a 458 Sqn aircraft. Greene said he was 90 Sqn. Any comment?

David

Thanks

David,

Horace 'Bill' Fordyce was definitely a 458 Squadron man. He had already ferried out an aicraft to the ME. On return to the UK, 458 Sqn was converting to torpedo-carrying aircraft. Bill Fordyce had to go to hospital for an abdominal operation. After recovering, he was posted back to the Sqn where he took over a crew all of whom were unknown to him, except the tail gunner, George Crompton. You know the result!

Significantly, Crompton is not mentioned on the No.458 Sqn Roll of Honour. He is simply listed as - RAAF attached to the RAF. Can't help with Greene.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 29th October 2011 at 04:59.