Thread: AUS401406 F/L Lindsay Oliver WILLIAMS RAAF

Thanks

Default AUS401406 F/L Lindsay Oliver WILLIAMS RAAF

Hello.

Seeking information on AUS401406 F/L Lindsay Oliver WILLIAMS AFC DFC RAAF.

His AFC Citation reads:

'On the 31st December, 1943, Flight Lieutenant Williams was testing a Master Aircraft with an airman as his passenger when the aircraft caught fire at 3,500 feet. Although practically overcome by fumes, smoke and the intense heat in the cockpit, Flight Lieutenant Williams kept the aircraft under control, maintaining straight and level flight at a low air speed, thus enabling his passenger to leave the aircraft by parachute. Then, when the flames had partially subdued, he successfully accomplished a landing down-wind on an airfield.The fire in the aircraft was finally extinguished by the crew of the fire tender. Throughout his trying experience, in which he disregarded his own safety in preference to that of his passenger, this officer displayed praiseworthy coolness, skill and courage.'

LG. 22 August, 1944. p.3884.

Can anyone identify the aircraft serial, and the passenger involved in this incident? Apparently, the unit was 5(P)AFU.

None of Williams' files are digitised at the NAA.

Previous requests have been posted (by Tom Thorne), asking for information on this incident. Thought l'd give it another try.

Thanks,

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th October 2011 at 07:47.

Thanks

Hi Col,

No Master Form 1180 raised for a Williams on 31st Dec 1943.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Col,

this is one that I puzzled over in the past when I was researching the history of RAF Condover (a few miles from where I live).

I came to the conclusion that the date in the LG was incorrect as the only matching incident I could find took place on the 31st May 1944. F/Lt Williams was piloting Miles Master DM123 of 5 (P)AFU, flying from the unit's satellite airfield at Condover. My notes taken from the Form 1180 state: “Aircraft in flight on air test. Flame and smoke from underside of fuselage at 15.25 hrs. Passenger bailed out successfully – fire diminished. Pilot stayed and made successful landing without further damage. Fire due to exhaust igniting fuel/or oil on underside of fuselage”.

No mention of it in the ORB. Perhaps Hugh has a bit to add from his files?

Cheers, Tom
    Last edited by thorne83; 30th October 2011 at 10:53.

Thanks

I have no access to the relevant documents and can offer no help from that source. Nevertheless, Tom's theory rings true. This is a very rare case of an AFC citation appearing in the London Gazette - virtually an "immediate AFC" - and the time lapse between the end of May 1944 and 22 August 1944 seems entirely appropriate to the processing of such awards.

Thanks

Ross/Tom & Hugh,

Thanks for your efforts.

Tom. Now that's an eye-opener! I'll take a look at my RAAF bale-out files. Passenger just might have been RAAF. LATEST - No RAAF bale-outs in Salop on 31-5-1944.

Appreciate your help Gents.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 30th October 2011 at 12:47.