Thread: France and Germany Star to a PoW 1943-45?

Thanks

Default France and Germany Star to a PoW 1943-45?

I am researching a pilot who was shot down in 1943 over North Africa and taken PoW. When released from the RCAF in 1945 he had been awarded
    - 39/45 Star (60 days service in an operational unit including at least one operational sortie)
    - Aircrew Europe Star (60 additional days' service in an RAF Unit engaged in operational flying over Europe from bases in the UK with at least one operational sortie)
    - Africa Star & North Africa 1942-43 Clasp (landing in or flying over an area of an Army operational command or flying over enemy occupied territory in North Africa, clasp for serving between certain specified dates in North Africa 1942-43)
    - Canadian Volunteer Service Medal & Clasp (18 months (540 days) total voluntary service from September 3, 1939 to March 1, 1947)

Later he was awarded
    - War Medal (28 days of service for all fulltime personnel of the armed forces)
    - France and Germany Star (one operational sortie over the appropriate land or sea area after 6 June 1944)

I am a bit puzzled by the fact that he was awarded the France and Germany Star as he was PoW from 1943 until liberation outside Lubeck in Germany on 2 May 1945.

Were PoWs enlitled to the France and Germany Star because it was considered "operational service" in Germany, or?

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

P.O.Ws shot down before 6.6.44 should not be entitled to the France & Germany Star. From the entitlement you quote if the France and Germany star was awarded to this man it should be a clasp added to the Air Crew Europe Star (you couldn't have both stars !)

I have seen a few POW groups that fall into this group :-

S/L P. STEVENS Military Cross, 1939-45 Star, Air Crew Europe Star clasp France & Germany, War Medal P.O.W 7.9.41 144 Sqn. (a constant escaper and a Jewish German citizen !)

The clasp might have been awarded for escape activities, but I find this unlikely.

S/L P. TOMLINSON 1939-45 Star, Air Crew Europe Star clasp France & Germany, Defence and War Medal. P.O.W 22.9.41 3 P.R.U

So it would normally not be awarded, more likely it was awarded in error (mistakes happen)

Commonwealth servicemen held P.O.W in Italy who escaped in 1943 and joined the reistance did earn the Italy Star !

Mark

Thanks

Mark
    Thank you for clarifying.

I guess my reading of the criteria for the different starts was right. Thought I had missed something.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War