Thread: F/O Raymond Marquis Nielsen (47709, RAFVR), 180 Sqn, 2TAF

Thanks

Default F/O Raymond Marquis Nielsen (47709, RAFVR), 180 Sqn, 2TAF

I have recently obtained information on this Danish airman linking him to No. 180 Squadron, 2TAF (i.e. after mid-1943), cf.
    http://danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=64

Would anyone have further information on this man, for instance access to the 180 Sqn ORB for a possible posting date?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Mikkel, Small point, but your man was RAF, not RAFVR:
    Air Ministry.
    17th February, 1942.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    GENERAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Plt. Offs. on prob. (emergency): —
    Sgts.
    645518 Raymond Marquis Nielsen (47709). 22nd Dec. 1941
    Regards, Terry

Thanks

Terry
    Thank you. It maybe a small point, but an important point as it is my understanding, that a status as British Subject was a creteria for a commission in the RAF, but not in the RAVR

If I am wrong, please correct me.

If I am right, this would suggest that he had a dual citizenship. My information suggest that he was born in the UK by a Danish father and a British mother.

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Hello Mikkel,

You have to go back to Denmark and start with F/O Raymond Marquis Nielsen here:

http://www.rydekirke.dk/index.php?id=16452

Interesting details about his life.

Regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Finn,
    Thank you. I am aware of the link, but it does not give much information on his operational service, and I find different parts of the information confusing. For the non-Danish speaking part of the forum I have quickly translated part of the text:

"...Raymond Marquis Nielsen, who was trained flying officer. He was raised in England and had a Danish father. During the second World War II, he was at Dunkirk, and miraculously escaped with his life. Later he performed in several dramatic situations where he acted in a heroic way. After the war he worked in Africa. Here he met the Danish WHO nurse Minna Madsen, who from Struer. They married, and later settled in Struer. One of Raymond's many interests was to build models of old sailing ships."

Being "at Dunkirk" would not that suggest ground operations and not airman? He is referred to as "British flying officer" and "English flying officer". I have reason to believe that he was, at least, also Danish citizen when he enlisted.

As to other sources he is possibly identical to this man:
    England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005 about Raymond M Nielsen
    Name: Raymond M Nielsen
    Mother's Maiden Surname: Durham
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1917
    Registration district: Uxbridge
    Inferred County: Oxfordshire
    Volume Number: 3a
    Page Number: 83 (click to see others on page)

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel, Sorry, I don't know enough to comment on RAF vis-a-vis RAFVR commissions and nationality. Regards, Terry