Thread: Sgt Peter James Cross RAFVR

Thanks

Default Sgt Peter James Cross RAFVR

Another possible Newmarket lad that I may have missed out..747741 Sgt Peter James Cross RAFVR Runnymede Memorial
    Died 16 April 1941..That is all I have at present, no idea as to squadron, aircraft or circumstance.Help please

Thanks

The General Register Office list of wartime RAF overseas dead list his unit as 13 OTU, Operational Training Unit. Basic details here: http://www.rafweb.org/OTU_1.htm

Trained Blenheim crews

His name is printed in the Flight Magazine as:

Casualty Comm. 98 printed 25 Dec 1941
    PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING, BELIEVED KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE, NOW PBESUMED KILLED ON ACTIVE SERVICE.—Sgt. G E. Cook; Sgt. P. J. Cross; Sgt. C. W. Kerridge.

they first appeared in this list:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1941/1941%20-%201190.html?search=kerridge

The three men above are all missing the dame date and remembered on the Runnymeded memorial. I woudl suggest a Blenheim loss on a training mission.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Blenheim 1V, V5881, From Bicester for night/nav exercise. Believed crashed through engine failure, in Irish Sea between Rhyll and the Isle of Man. Names of crew are as Dennis has given, all on Runnymede.
    Chorley's

Thanks

Default Sgt Peter Cross

Thanks for very speedy replies. Unfortunately my first informant had it all worng, so I was actually looking for the worng man, and the man I was after it turne dout was the victim of a peacetime accident, not a war casualty after all.
    Thanks anyway and another one to add to the learning curve

Thanks

Default Sgt Peter Cross

Not sure this post is still being followed but from 13 OTU records:-

On the 16th April 1941, No. 32 Course, comprising 20 crews was formed and on the following day, Blenheim V5881together with 3 crew members, Sgts. Cyril Walter Kerridge, Peter James Cross and Geoffrey Ernest Cook, was reported missing whilst on a cross-country flight. Nothing further was heard of them and it is presumed that they came down in the sea between Rhyl and the Isle of Man.

Regards,

Nick