Thread: Squadron Leader John Seymour SHERWOOD 39132

Thanks

Default Squadron Leader John Seymour SHERWOOD 39132

Sqn Ldr John Seymour Sherwood 39132 led the second formation of Lancasters on the Augsberg daylight raid in April 1942. His aircraft was shot down but he survived.

Sherwood was cited for a VC but at the Air Ministry the recommendation was changed to state: 'To be recommended for DSO, if found to be alive'.

I have been reminded of this sortie whilst researching another topic for somebody else. I realise, however, that I know nothing about Sherwood after he was repatriated at the end of the war. He had earned a DFC with 144 Sqn and a Bar to the DFC with 97 Sqn, on which he was serving when the Augsberg attack took place. His DSO is gazetted on 30 June 1942.

Most probably Sherwood, who was a pre-war officer, will be long departed now but a little further information about his later life would be interesting.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

There is a man of that name born 1918 who died in Cornwall in 1973. Its not an widespread name so it may be him.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default J.S.Seymour 1938

Hello Colin,

Not exactly what you seek but in 1938, after completing his flying training, Pilot Officer J.S. Seymour was posted to No 76(B) Sqn at RAF Finningley flying Wellesleys under Sqn Ldr Edward John George. There is a photo of him in a 1938 Flight Magazine article titled '76(B) Sqn'. He is standing extreme left. I also have a photo of him as a Squadron Leader on 144 Sqn. Alas, I haven't anything on him post WWII.

Full list of names on 1938 Flight Magazine photo standing L-R
    PO J S Sherwood
    PO J T B Sadler
    Sgt S W Jenkins
    PO W D Corr
    PO J E Riepenhausen
    PO J M Warren
    Flt Lt Isemonger
    Sqn Ldr Edward John George (CO)
    FO L R Stewart
    PO Peter Henry Rebbeck
    PO F L Chadwick
    PO J N Culverwell
    PO C A Baskett
    F Sgt E G Couch
    PO G K Peacock
    PO B P Jones

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 3rd November 2011 at 13:00. Reason: adding other names on photo

Thanks

OD,
    If you chase up 39132 in the LG you will see that his career path was "non standard"!! He appears to have retired as an A/Wg Cdr on 15 Mar 58 (his 60th birthday - which confirms Dennis' info). But he seems to have done some time in RAFO - so probably RAF, as opposed to RAFVR. I can't get the LG to cough up anything earlier than on 12 Nov 40 where it announces his Promotion to Flt Lt.
    If all else fails you might have to go for the DC, and from that find who Registered the Death. Usually it is a close rellie and you can try to contact them.
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 3rd November 2011 at 12:28.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Yes RAF not RAFVR

A/P/O 31 August 1936
    P/O 6 July 1937
    F/O 31 Jan 1939

No pre war RAFO so must be post war.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your info about Sherwood.

I have a chum who is a 'big cheese' in RAFA and RBL matters in Cornwall and is always up for a challenge. I shall set him off on the prospect that Sherwood died in 1973 and would probably have been mentioned in the local press at the very least.

I have to say that if I had been told to fly in a relatively small formation in daylight to Augsberg, I might have called in sick that morning. Jack Currie wrote a book on the subject and there was TV programme which he narrated (in that firm voice and matter of fact way he had) about the attack. The two programmes about Currie's own flying career were also interesting but, stupidly, I didn't record them.

Colin Cummings