Thread: Malvern College, Memorial, Toronto, Canada

Thanks

Default Malvern College, Memorial, Toronto, Canada

Hello all,

Although I appreciate its the 'wrong war' for this forum, I nevertheless thought it important to tell you that a Canadian newspaper has published a story about the rededication of a War Memorial outside Malvern College, Toronto. The newspaper article about the young brave Canadian warriors of long ago, can be read by using the following URL:

http://www.beachmetro.com/2011/11/01/spirit-malvern-returns-glory/

If you get an error 404 message go to home and look for "Spirit of Malvern returns to former glory"

Several Canadian TV stations and newspapers will be covering the event and many military and civilian visitors, including descendants of the fallen are expected to attend.

In conclusion, I would like to add that our forum grandee David Fuller of Toronto, a prime organiser, has been burning the mid-night candle during the past twelve months to see success on the 4th.

Norman

"What's important is what you learn after you know it all" - Earl Weaver
    Last edited by namrondooh; 4th November 2011 at 02:24. Reason: typo

Thanks

Thanks Norman, much appreciated.

The Central Ontario Branch Western Front Association has also published the article, with all the colour photos of the restoration work (and some minor corrections). Their link will stay up longer than the original newspaper article too.

http://www.cobwfa.ca/COBWFA2011/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:ma lvern-collegiate-monument-nov-4-2011-&catid=50:cef-modern-media&Itemid=63

As a reminder and a thank you to all those at RAFC who helped in the research, four of the 25 men were pilots and their stories are told in the accompanying PDF file with bios of all 25 Boys of Malvern.

The names of the air force men, for those who might be searching in future are:

Sub Flt. Lt. Gordon Ezra Duke, RNAS
    Lt. Roy Wesley Kerr, RAF
    2nd Lt. Arthur Jackson Smith Sisley, RFC
    2nd Lt. Donovan Laurier Sisley, RFC

Tomorrow is the ceremony. It will be a grand day, I'm sure.
    Last edited by dfuller52; 4th November 2011 at 03:57. Reason: spelling
    David

Thanks

Default Malvern College Memorial desecrated

I have just heard from Canada that only a few hours after the rededication ceremony, the pristine memorial was desecrated by people as yet unknown. I should imagine the School Principal, staff, guests, wider community and organisers are devastated.

Norman