Thread: Am new so not sure where to post for veterans info

Thanks

Default Am new so not sure where to post for veterans info

Hi everyone im new having just joined because i am looking for information on one of my relatives. My grandmothers brother.

So here is all the info i have been given via her family. Name Flight lieutenant Herbert Alfred Andrews joined the RAF around 1918 in the boy service ? left the RAF around 1950 or so probably not later maybe earlier.

was based for times at Northholt, Uxxbridge and have been told Whitehall. My Grans daughter has told me that he also worked alongside Churchill part of WW2 and was something to do with air photography and at times based in the war rooms ?. My father who still has one of his cameras says He remembers being told that only he could open the cameras that had come back from missions ?. I have also been told that on one of his medals he had an oak leaf and was mentioned in dispatches but have no idea which medals he had.

Hope some one can be of assistance and point me in the right direction

Regards Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I think that this is your man from the 1975 Retired List

Andrews H A Born 23/02/03 Commissioned 17/12/42. F/O 17/12/42. Retired Admin & Special Duties Branch 26/11/45 retaining rank of F/L.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Chris Hi,

Welcome to the Forum. Ross beat me to it but Herbert Alfred Andrews probably Enlisted in the RAF from a civilian between Sep 1919 and 16 Jun 1925. Ross has detailed his Commissioning. Next step is to obtain his Service Record (plenty of advice on this forum on how to do that from Cranwell). Then, when you've got that there are many experts on this forum who can decode all the acronyms in those docs.
    Good hunting
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Ross that was quick thanks very much.

Im a bit confused as im a complete novice i was under the impression he was in before 17/12/42 or is that when he obtained an officer rank ?

Where should i go from here to get his complete service record and copies of medals if im able.

My father tells me he still has one of the cameras that would have been used by him that im wondering be of interest to the RAF Museum at Hendon or even Duxford

Regards Chris

Thanks

The 1942 date Chris refers to his becomeing an officer after spening time initially as a airman, a non officer rank.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/35894/supplements/703

ADMINISTRATIVE AND SPECIAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    To be Flg. Offs. on prob. (emergency):
    Wt. Offs.
    346439 Herbert Alfred ANDREWS (50486). 17th Dec. 1942.

To obtain his service files:
    have a read of:
    http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FreedomOfInformation/FOIContact/RequestsForAccessToPersonalDataHeldByTheMinistryOf Defence.htm
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Chris

would he have bbe in New York in 1928 with someone called Stella Andrews? Sailing back in to liverpool on the SS France on may 11th, 1928. Occupation kinematographer? Address Vicarage Walk, Walton?

Ancestry.com have a shipping manifest with that individual on it.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Hi Dennis

Sorry i have absolutely no idea at the moment. I have literately only just started down the line of finding out my family's history around WW2. I only new Berts wife as Joyce on the very few occasions i met them, and am relying on information from my father and his sister at 82 and 76 respectively its quite difficult rationalising there reminiscing.

This is only one of 4 relatives i have just found out about who served in WW2, one served in the merchant navy i know he was on Arctic convoys as well as Atlantic routes and possibly the Pedestal run to Malta, one was a London Fireman My mums dad help build mosquito's the other was a dispatch rider in the RAF but only have his name so far.

Enough to keep me going through the winter !?!!

Regards Chris

Thanks

email me and I'll send you the shipping record for H A Andrews dp_burke@yahoo.com
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com