Thread: Individual letters Hampdens 50 & 106 Squadron

Thanks

Default Individual letters Hampdens 50 & 106 Squadron

Dear all,

I'm struggling to tie up serials and matching individual letters of some Hampdens of 50 and 106 Squadron:

50 Squadron
    AD928
    AE231
    AE386
    AE400
    AE401
    AE423
    AE427
    AE435

These aircraft should have had B/D/G/J/H/K/Q/W as individual letter

106 Squadron
    P4323
    AD857
    AE307
    AE378

These Hampdens should have had B/D/P/X as individual letter

I've checked the Hampden File my Harry Moyle and did an internet check, but to no avail. Hopefully somebody has something on file.

Thanks in advance for your effort,
    Hans Nauta

P.S. Individual letters are from the Form E Summaries in AIR14 in the period autumn 1941, serials from the ORB's.

Thanks

Dear Hans
    I have looked in Postlethwaite's "Hampden Squadrons in Focus" and can see nothing in there either. But a little search did turn up the following on:
    http://www.crashplace.de/output.php

CAMPBELL, P.B. Warrant Officer II, RCAF. Pilot. 415 Squadron, RCAF. Died 43rd February 18 Aged 22

He was killed, together with 3 fellow crew members, in Handley-Page Hampden, serial AE435 (GX-U). The aircraft was based at RAF Thorney Iceland but was operating from RAF Docking. The crash was at 20.30hrs, on take-off for a convoy strike off Ijmuiden. The Civil War Diaries Defence that report, "Police evacuated nearby houses due to an unexploded torpedo in the wreckage. Paul Campbell, a Canadian from New Brunswick, and his 3 Canadian crew members were buried with full military honors on 24 February 1943rd
    (See also F / O & KRMaffre WOII ZMNiblock & WOII REVokey)

Source:
    http://www.norfolkwargraves.org.uk/Allied.htm

(This Web site seems to be down though)

Also on http://www.crashplace.de/output.php
    is:

The Hampden I P4323 was initially issued to 16 OTU RAF before transferring to 106 Sqdn. It took off at 0200 hrs on 24 February 1942 from RAF Coningsby on a mining operation in the region Eglantine. Hit by flak Navy, it crashed in the Heligoland Bight. All the crew were killed and are buried in Kiel was Cemetery.

Crew:
    Sgt Stanley Arthur Kent (pilot), KIA
    Sgt Reginald Stephen Anderson (observer) KIA
    Sgt Albert William Blake (wireless operator / air gunner) KIA
    Sgt Ronald Stanley McLeod (wireless operator / air gunner) KIA

It looks like out of all your numbers I have only found AE435 (GX-U). I hope this is useful and accurate information.
    Best wishes
    James