Thread: medlock train troop carrier

gittings john Guest

Default medlock train troop carrier

My father mentioned out of the blue last year that he had gone on this train when he was shipped abroad after the war. Now this came as quite a surprise as he was in the RAF as a flight engineer and served in Egypt and Palastine after the war finished. I assumed he flew there. As he was in hospital at the time I did not want to press him too much although an old gentleman in the bed opposite confirmed the details my father had mentioned were correct. Sadly my father died within a few weeks and was not well enough to ask anymore about this, like many of his generation he told us very few details of his time during the war and have some stories but these were very few and far between. He was featured in the Dark peak Aircraft Wrecks book by Ron Collier but had never said he had crashed until he was contacted by the person who was putting the book together.

Does anyone know if this train was used by the RAF to move their men around and why

LXXIV Guest

Default Medloc train

John, have a look at this website, it may give you a start.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Cold-war/medloc_appeal.html

Best regards

LXXIV

Medlock train mentioned briefly here: http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2004/6/10/113282.html

Regards,

Leendert

Default Medlock troop train.

Quote Originally Posted by gittings john View Post
    My father mentioned out of the blue last year that he had gone on this train when he was shipped abroad after the war. Now this came as quite a surprise as he was in the RAF as a flight engineer and served in Egypt and Palastine after the war finished. I assumed he flew there. As he was in hospital at the time I did not want to press him too much although an old gentleman in the bed opposite confirmed the details my father had mentioned were correct. Sadly my father died within a few weeks and was not well enough to ask anymore about this, like many of his generation he told us very few details of his time during the war and have some stories but these were very few and far between. He was featured in the Dark peak Aircraft Wrecks book by Ron Collier but had never said he had crashed until he was contacted by the person who was putting the book together.

Does anyone know if this train was used by the RAF to move their men around and why
    John,
    In 1952 I travelled via the Medlock route. If you are still interested in information please contact me, Peter. peebles@live.co.uk