Thread: Spam emails

Thanks

Default Spam emails

Hi,
    I've just been contacted by another member, saying that he's had a spam email supposedly from me, and warning me that my email contact list has probably been hacked into. He sent me a copy of the email, and it shows that it has been sent to many people i have been in contact with on this, and other boards. Problem is, that i do not keep an active email contact list, so can someone tell me how these people know, who i know, if i do not have a contact list. Apologies to anyone who has recieved one, but i do not know what to do. I also have often had the same sort of stuff, supposedly from others on this and other boards i visit, so is there an answer to the problem.
    Regards........Alan.

Thanks

Hi Alan,
    I had two mails from your address, but obviously spam so deleted. I think it's one of those things you have to put up with-
    keep smiling
    Paul h.

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    Can i take it then, that it's nothing thats been caused by anything i've done/not done.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan, as far as I can tell not your fault. this is second occurance i have seen lately of emails being hijacked. Modern society-ugh!
    Paul.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

It is quite probable that you haven't had your email hijacked at all and it was someone elses email where the problem originated but it is worth changing your password and security question and running an up to date virus scan if you haven't already done so. The best way to explain what has probably happened is using this example:

"John Smith" has AlanW, paulh and 20 others in his contact list. John clicks on a link in a spam email thus opening a program hidden within, this then searches his email contacts and sends emails to all the people in the list but it alters the script in the senders address to make it look like it has come from someone in John's contacts, in this case AlanW. So paulh and 20 others get what looks like an email from AlanW but it has actually been sent from John Smiths computer without his knowledge. These emails are usually spam, directing you to a fake pharmaecutical website for example but can sometimes be more sinister so don't click the link and if you do click the link run an up to date virus scan just to be on the safe side.
    Do a web search for "Email Spoofing" for more info.

Regards

Pete

Thanks

Default Spam emails

Hello Alan,

I have even received e-mails sent from myself that I never sent.
    So, if you look into "properties" and then "details" you can plainly follow the route that the e-mail has taken, and the original(?) senders e-adress. You could then if you feel so inclined redirect ALL of the SPAM you receive to that e-address.

Its all Spam and so just be careful how you go about deleting as you could end up deleting your own contact address.

Alex