Thread: Help with Awards and/or Medals

Thanks

Default Help with Awards and/or Medals

My father was in the US Army Air Corp and recieved two Canadian awards in May 1945. His paperwork only lists the abbreviations "CAN SM CL" and CAN WAR" by Letter, RCAF, 5 May 1945. Can someone tell me what thay were, or a link to them?

Thanks

I think the first on refers to the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with the "CL" refering to the overseas clasp. The second one would be the 1939-45 War Medal. See: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04
    If you click on the medal you will get a full view and description along with the criteria for the medal.
    I would guess that your father had enlisted in the Canadian Forces and was transferred to the US forces after.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 9th November 2011 at 18:21.

Thanks

Default Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
    I think the first on refers to the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with the "CL" refering to the overseas clasp. The second one would be the 1939-45 War Medal. See: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group04
    If you click on the medal you will get a full view and description along with the criteria for the medal.
    I would guess that your father had enlisted in the Canadian Forces and was transferred to the US forces after.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace
    I knew someone here would know. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Hi there, who was your father? We might be able to turn up some other details for you?

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 9th November 2011 at 22:22. Reason: Changed greeting from hey to Hi
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com