Thread: Rosamund Everard-Steenkamp, ATA

Thanks

Default Rosamund Everard-Steenkamp, ATA

Hello all,

can anyone fill me in with some details surrounding the death of 1st Officer Rosamund King Everard-Steenkamp, ATA who died 19th March 1946. I have seen quite a bit on her on the web, but am interested to know what Spitfire she was flying, why it crashed and where exactly?

I have from the Times online:
    First Officer Mrs Rosamund Everard-Steenkamp, a South African serving with the Air Transport Auxiliary was killed last Tuesday when the Spitfire she was delivering to an RAF unit in Shropshire crashed into some trees near her destination. Mrs Everard-Steenkamp was the widow of an Officer of the South African Air Force. She was the first pilot to pilot a jet propelled aircraft and also the first woman to obtain a navigators air licence in South Africa.

I'll be interested to see what information anyone can shed on this.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks

Hi Tom,

Flew into trees at Button Oak, Upper Arly, Salop, recovering from dive and broke up.

Pilot and sole occupant of a Spitfire which crashed in Wyre Forest at Button Oak near Kinlet early on Tuesday afternoon, Capt Rosamund King Everard Steenkamp the South African widow of an airman who was a member of the South African WAAFs and was attached to the Air Transport Auxiliary No.1 Ferry Pilot Pool was instantly killed.

Mrs Steenkamp was flying from Hampshire to a station in Shropshire at the time of the mishap. (Kidderminster Times)

Regards
    Ross

(Spitfire NH695)

Thanks

Thanks Ross, just what i needed,
    Tom

Thanks

Default Nh695

groups.yahoo.com/group/airforcedeaths
    , posted by Errol Martyn (You will find him on the RAF Commands forum)

Ref: Capt (Mrs) Everard-Steenkamp 19.03.46 - Ferrying a Spitfire - UK

"According to Colin Cummings 'Final Landings' First Officer (note rank)Rosamund King Everard-Steenkamp of the ATA died when her 1 Ferry Pool Spitfire XIV NH695 struck the tops of some 20 foot high trees, hit the ground and disintegrated."

And then from www.spitfires.ukf.net

NH695 XIV EA G65 39MU 1-5-44 610S 26-5-44 DeH 4-7-44 350S 19-7-44 CAC ops 11-2-45 ASTH 1FPP hit tree on feryy flight Button Oak Upper Arley Salop pilot killed 19-3-46 SOC 29-5-46

Maybe you'd found this already.

Maidenhead HeritageCentre,
    (www.maidenheadheritage.org.uk)
    were/are collection information about the ATA, you might give them a shout.

Dennis
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 16th March 2008 at 20:08. Reason: Added Maidenhead info center
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com