Thread: Mentioned in Despatches

Thanks

Default Mentioned in Despatches

My Father , Sgt F W Dummer 363834, was mentioned in despatches in 1941 whilst serving in 4FTS in RAF Habbaniya, Iraq.
    I have been unsuccessful in chasing down a citation for this award.
    Can anyone advise whether it is possible to locate a citation and where do I need to look for it?
    Alan Dummer

Thanks

Alan,

The seemly obvious thing to do is to search the London Gazatte, at http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search, but for the whole period of WW2 there are only 26 hits for "dummer" and none of them appear to be your father. Presumably the second place to try would be the National Archives, for his service record, but I can't tell you how to do that.

Rob

Thanks

The most likely reason for an MiD for 4FTS in 1941, is the Rashid Ali revolt and the siege of Habbaniya during May 1941 - see Tony Dudgeon's book: "The War That Never Was".

I suggest a call to the Dept of Research and Info Services at the RAF Museum. They have a manuscript cardex which lists all awards for the period in question (and a lot more besides). This cardex is in alphabetical order and was updated with details of awards as they were made. The entry for your father will point you towards an Air Ministry Bulletin and this in turn will give you an idea of when the award was gazetted. You might find, however, that there is no citation per se but merely something like: 'the following are commended for their services during the .......... '

Colin Cummings

Thanks

In most cases, recs for WW2 RAF MiDs no longer exist. I too, could not find mention of your father's details in the LG. This would worry me a tad as virtually all MiDs were promulgated through that means. I am presuming that you have confirmation of the award through alternate means. i.e. service record or physical possession of the MiD Certificate?

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Default MID's

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    In most cases, recs for WW2 RAF MiDs no longer exist. I too, could not find mention of your father's details in the LG. This would worry me a tad as virtually all MiDs were promulgated through that means. I am presuming that you have confirmation of the award through alternate means. i.e. service record or physical possession of the MiD Certificate?

Rgds

Jonny
    Thanks for the steers. I got the award confirmation from fathers Service Record and the MOD Medal office managed to confirm his medals and confirmed what I had suspected, that few MID citations had survived and that it was likely to have been awarded with a fairly generalised "good work in an operational area" citation.

Thanks

Default Possible Further Lines of Enquiry

About a dozen years ago, I was doing some research on Arnhem. I engaged a researcher to look for Army recommendations at the TNA and he was able to find and copy the original forms. So for the Army at least the recommendations are extant.

These recommendations showed the path that they had followed from the unit to an eventual decision on the level of award or rejection of the recommendation.

I found many cases (in the imperfect sample of one engagement) where recommendations for awards were downgraded and, very occasionally, upgraded. The most extreme case was a VC recommendation which ended with an MiD.

Others who know the TNA better than I, will be able to say which of the AIR/ files might contain the recommendations and how they are ordered. It might be worth a last 'sweep' because the MiD might well have started out as a BEM (possibly for gallantry).

Colin Cummings