Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staverton accidents

Thanks

Default Staverton accidents

I am the Operations Director at Gloucestershire Airport, Staverton. Having attended the Cheltenham remembrance service yesterday, it occurred to me that there is no memorial at the airfield. Using the search function, I have begun to piece together the wartime losses at (or from) the airfield but I wondered if any of the forum members have already completed this exercise?

Thus far, I have the following: -

26/6/41 - Whitley I - K7208 - AW and A&AEE - crashed on take-off Staverton
    7/11/41 - Lysander II - P9183 - 10 Grp AAC Flt - crashed on take-off Staverton
    6/12/41 - Anson N9886 of 6 AONS; hit truck on take-off and crashlanded Staverton

I'd be grateful for any further information on these, and any other losses. 70 years on, it would seem appropriate to formally record those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Thanks

Hi,

Anson N9886
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?4845-LAC-John-Edgar-MAYO-RAFVR-Died-6-12-1941

Regards
    Roaa
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Adding to Ross's comment, the other crew of this Anson were: P/O Rudolf GRZEGORZ age 27 Polish Air Force and LAC Joseph Henry RYALLS 28

This info may already appear in the post Ross has given but my 1920's internet connection (Oh for the white heat of technology) does not let me get to the embedded reference. I'm recruiting a fast runner with a cleft stick to address this problem!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default Lac je mayo

LAC John Edgar Mayo, seems strange, no known grave, he is commemorated on the Runnymede memorial, the other two JH Ryalls and R Grzegorz are buried in the UK, checked on RAF WEB cause not known for Ryall, other 2 linked to N9886 and 6 AONS.
    R Grzegorz is buied at Cowley St Mary, in Gloucetershire not very far from Staverton.
    Last edited by STARFIRE; 15th November 2011 at 10:50.

Thanks

I can confirm the accuracy of the info. The Air 28/546 Form 540 lists the crew.

The reason for the Runnymede Memorial entry will be for one of two reasons probably.

First, the subsequent fire might have been so severe as to have left no trace of human remains.

Second, a cremation at a place where there was subsequently no opportunity for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to mount a plaque or leave an inscription.

There is an outside chance of a burial at sea but I think that unlikely, as I do a request for the body to be used for medical research. However, they are possibilities.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Thanks all for the input. I've found some related information...

From http://www.nightfighternavigator.com/

Gradually I became accustomed to working in the air, putting into practice classroom lessons. Most of the pilots flying the school's Ansons were Poles. Their attitude to flying was very casual and foolhardy. One of them was the cause of a tragedy that made me realise that flying was a very dangerous occupation. Several aircraft were lined up for take-off. The first one became airborne. Then the second went along the runway, lifted off and immediately the pilot put it into a steep climbing turn. Within seconds it had spun into the ground. It was our turn for take-off, which the pilot did without hesitation. I looked down in horror at the wreckage as we flew over all that was left of the aircraft. Next morning I was astounded that the school had not shut down for the day after so terrible a tragedy. I soon realised that the RAF did not mourn: everything went on as before, but in the classroom I grieved as I looked at the empty places of Ryalls and Mayo.

and from a family blog of Ryalls...

Joseph Henry Ryalls (1913) who married Elsie Robinson in 1937. Joseph was leading Aircraftman 1239961 Pilot, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Joseph was tragically killed in a training exercise somewhere in Wales on 6 December 1941. He was buried at Intake Cemetery, Sheffield.

Colin Ryalls (1915 - 1992) who served in Palestine during the Second World War. He married his brotherís widow, Elsie Robinson, in 1945.

Thanks

Default LAC JE Mayo

Thanks Colin for the information ,yes thinking about it a severe fire would explain it.

Thanks

Just bumping this thread to the top again....any info on these two accidents?

26/6/41 - Whitley I - K7208 - AW and A&AEE - crashed on take-off Staverton
    7/11/41 - Lysander II - P9183 - 10 Grp AAC Flt - crashed on take-off Staverton

Thanks

The following don't answer your question but if you go to
    http://simhq.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2270500/Mediterranean_Air_War_MAW_1_20.html
    and scroll down, it appears P9183 was in Egypt/Libia until May 1941:

There is a photo of Whitley I - K7208 at http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/pictures_whitley_K7208.html ;
    and here http://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/2135.htm
    and here http://1000aircraftphotos.com/APS/2528.htm

Brian

Thanks

ooOoo,

I suspect the easiest way to solve the issue of the two aircraft, if you have had no response to date, is to get sight of the RAF Forms 540 at the National Archives, Kew.

You can do this in person or there are a number of NA researchers who carry out research on a fees basis plus photocopying costs. I recommend the latter, unless you are experienced in the NA system. In addition to travel time and costs, there will inevitably be some redundant time and searches of the document listings (the AIR/ files in this case) can be a bit hit and miss at times.

However, a trawl through the Forms 540 for Staverton will throw up more interesting historical info about the base, as will a look at the individual unit Forms 540 for units based at Staverton.

If you have any other queries, why not post them now? Somebody out there will certainly be able to add something to the story.

Colin Cummings