Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Staverton accidents

Thanks

I think we've all been a bit dozy with this thread and Colin's just given my grey cells a boost.

Go to http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/contact.cfm and request the F1180 (Accident summary) cards for the Whitley and Lysanderfrom the RAF Museum . Provide exactly the same details as you did in your last RAFCommands post on 3rd December and a copy of the relevant F1180 will be sent to you via snail-mail. The contents of F1180s does vary but will at least include the names of the pilots of the two aircraft. A bit slow, but a rely should be received in 4-6 weeks.

Brian

Thanks

From the F1180

7/11/41 No,10 Grp AAC Flight
    Lysander II P9183

Tyre burst on take off, cross wind, violent swing, u/c collapsed.

Initially Cat B but recat to C

OC comments: Apparently landing T placed crosswind to allow a Halifax to use longest runway. Pilot should have been warned.

Pilot sgt R J C Richards, 1262926 no injuries, 33 hours on type 119 hrs on other types.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

F1180 for the Whitley is of poor quality.

Assigned to No.6 AONS.

Pilot W/C R H Barlow 5 hrs on type 4195 hrs on other types.

Pilot landed with u/c partially locked. No injuries.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Gents
    Thanks for the updates and advice regarding further searches. I am not familiar with the terminology or form numbers to which you refer but I assume, if one knows where to look, a great deal of archive material can be found. When I have some more time to spare, I will find a researcher to do this for me. In the interim, does anyone have the F1180 for the Anson accident? Tuesday marks the 70th anniversarytof the accident and I'd like to recognise this in some way, until we're in a position to formally remember all those who gave their lives in service at Staverton.

Thanks

Default Tuesday's Commemoration

ooOoo,

Can't get the Form 1180 for you by tomorrow, however, below is a summary of the accident which is taken from the Form 1180.

Coupled with the diary entry recorded in an earlier post, you will be able to form a decent idea of what happened. Unfortunately, the information does not actually say where around the perimeter of the airfield the Anson crashed but there might be somebody who can tell you from the local community.

06-Dec-41 N9886 Anson I 6 AONS Staverton 3
    The crew was to fly a navigational training sortie but on take-off, the pilot held the aircraft very low before making a left hand turn just off the ground. The aircraft struck a stationary lorry, control was lost and the aircraft crashed into an adjoining field.
    Pilot Officer Rudolf GRZEGORZ 27
    Leading Aircraftman Joseph Henry RYALLS 28
    Leading Aircraftman J E MAYO

By the way and to answer your comment about forms, the Forms 540 to which I referred are a monthly diary of events. Compiled in retrospect, they range from b@:*&y hopeless to an absolute goldmine of information - depends on how keen the compiler was. The Form 541 is a summary of individual sorties flown. At Staverton, there might be a Form 540 for the station and another for the training school but don't know for sure.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I've put examples of Form 540 and Form 541 along with regulations for use in the RAF Forms section of the forum.

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11845-Form-540-and-Form-541-Operations-Record-Book

Regards
    Ross

Thanks

I visited the final resting place of PO Rudolf Grzegorz today at Cowley St Mary church.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/391109_328427023851947_136863653008286_1224919_209 9739473_n.jpg

Thanks

As you build up your picture of wartime Staverton, you might want to be aware that there were a number of losses of aircraft and crews who were operating away from the airfield area.

For example, a 6 AOS Anson crashed in Hampshire, possibly because the (Polish) pilot ignored the trainee navigator's courses and blundered along in his own sweet way. The Form 1180 reveals a three way dispute as to what part, if any, language difficulties played in the loss.

In a sense, the question is: 'how far and deep do you want to dig into wartime operations at Staverton'?

Thanks

Oldduffer
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm also aware of other fatal accidents involving 6 AONS Ansons, including two at nearby Haresfield. I would like to record the details of all those losses relating to Staverton, regardless of cause or circumstance.

Thanks

I can feel a project for an 'A' level history student or a BA in History undergrad who wants a subject for a thesis coming on!!

The Form 540 is the starting block but the book "Action Stations Vol 5" by Chris Ashworth will give you the framework for the history, starting with the original airfield at Down Hatherley going back to 1932. The RAF's interest pre-war led to 31 E&RFTS using the Staverton site from 1938.

The local library and local history group will probably be able to provide photographs and with a fairly modest investment, it ought to be possible to produce a decent airfield history in booklet form that would sell or generate income for a charity - not to mention the shed load of good publicity for the airfield and the businesses thereon.

In the meantime, I'll see what additional info I can find on the accidents side and then you can get the Forms 1180 from the RAF Museum which will summarise the circumstances.

Colin Cummings

Colin Cummings