Thread: Requesting service history

stpoint Guest

Default Requesting service history

Could anyone help with information on the following aircrew

Flt Sgt Eddie Renown LINES 632855
    Sgt Thomas Edward COMINS 1251975

I know all the information about there deaths but was wondering if anybody was able to assist with their service history.

I have been chasing these details for about 2 years but having no luck and need some guidance from the experts pls.

Thanks

With regards to the service numbers of your men :-

Lines 632855 - 633025 Enlisted RAF Regular February 1939 !

Comins 1251975 - 1251975 Enlisted RAFVR around May/June 1940 !

Mark

Thanks

What "form" has your chasing taken: perhaps if you explain that a bit further, forumites might be able to come up with other avenues that you can explore. My own research, still on-going after 3 years into a particular bomber crew has been to trace and contact family members. As nok they can, in theory, request the service history of their relative, though at 30 a time, it's quite expensive!
    Max

stpoint Guest

Thanks Marks and Max for your replies.

I have been trying to contact relatives of these airmen and thats where my problems start. I have been unable to find any with the email contacts I have tried and searches thru family history sites...it appears that these two men have disappeared of the face of the earth ...not being related to these airmen make it difficult to trace them, Im have found relatives of most of the other crew members killed in the flying accident but none can help with these two. I am just trying to narrow down my search area and find answers to things like where did they enlist, where did they train etc

Mark

Thanks

You still haven't said what approach you've actually taken Mark.

However, if you haven't done so already a good starting point would be to place a letter in the local newspapers in Westcliff-on Sea (Lines) and Cheam (Comins), asking if anyone knew the families or went to school with them. That occasionally provides spectacular results, even given that the contemporaries will be very old.

You could also contact the local libraries asking if there are obituaries in archived local newspapers for the two men - I'd suggest within a 6-week period following their deaths. For Cheam email cheam.library@sutton.gov.uk . For Westcliff you need the Southend on Sea library; there doesn't appear to be a simple email address, but if you go to http://www.southend.gov.uk/services/content.asp?content=797 and scroll down the page you will find an online contact form.

Brian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyffe View Post
    You still haven't said what approach you've actually taken Mark.

However, if you haven't done so already a good starting point would be to place a letter in the local newspapers in Westcliff-on Sea (Lines) and Cheam (Comins), asking if anyone knew the families or went to school with them. That occasionally provides spectacular results, even given that the contemporaries will be very old.

You could also contact the local libraries asking if there are obituaries in archived local newspapers for the two men - I'd suggest within a 6-week period following their deaths. For Cheam email cheam.library@sutton.gov.uk . For Westcliff you need the Southend on Sea library; there doesn't appear to be a simple email address, but if you go to http://www.southend.gov.uk/services/content.asp?content=797 and scroll down the page you will find an online contact form.

Brian
    I'd go along with that 100% Brian!!
    Max