Thread: Crew Briefings

Thanks

Default Crew Briefings

Good Evening

I recently ordered a photograph from the Imperial War Museum depicting a 149 Squadron briefing taking place on May 10, 1941. Does anyone know at this point during the war which members of the crew would normally attend the brief.
    ie. The entire crew or just the pilots and navigator.
    Thanks in advance.

Eric

Thanks

Sorry..I should clarify a bit more. These are all Wellington crews in the photo. The ORB for the mission designates two Pilots, one Wireless Operator and a combination of either three Air Gunners or two Gunners and one Observer for a total of six in the crew. My relative was on this mission ( Wireless Operator ) and there is someone who resembles him at the rear of the photo. Just trying to determine if he would normally attend the brief or not.
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi Eric, I think it may change time to time and can depends on several circumstances but from my point of view the minimal crew on briefing was: captain, observer, Wireless operator. Wireless Operators were getting there information about call signs, frequencies, colors of lighthouses etc.
    But I know that when with the BC all crew members of 311 Sq were attending briefings.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi Pavel

Good to hear from you and I hope all is well. I just finished counting the number of aircraft dispatched on this mission from 149 Squadron and if I am correct I believe there were nine Wellingtons with six crew each on board. And it looks like there are about sixty crew in the briefing room along with the officers conducting the brief. So perhaps it is similar to 311 Squadron and the entire crew for each aircraft were in attendance?

Eric

Thanks

Well I have not my archive now with me but if I remember well there was maximum effort of 311 Sq at one night 12 or 13 crews per 6 men i.e. 72 or 78. But most common were from 1 to 6 crews i.e. up to 36. Plus the officers: Squadron Commander, Intelligence Officer, Meteorologist, possibly also Armament Officer, Signal Officer.
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Eric
    My RAAF father at the time [Aug-Oct'44] was the Leading Bombaimer of 31 sqdn SAAF based in Celone Foggia Italy .Not having his log book, I only know this because a fellow sqdn bombaimer told me that he attended briefings that my father gave before a mission .Whether the bombaimers were in a different room to the pilots and crew I don't know ?

When I went to RAF Hendon a few years ago there was a section showing models as crew attending a DEbriefing

Anne

Thanks

Thanks Anne

I am just a little unclear on all of it as the crew designations seem to obviously increase as new aircraft were introduced into the war effort. The Wellingtons have crew members which may have assumed dual roles as required where on the larger aircraft everyone seems to have more of a specific function. The picture I have is good however I wish these particular six were standing nearer the front so I could be certain.

Thanks

Eric
    I expect dual roles were taken in Wellingtons navigator/bombaimer etc although my father was first in Wellingtons in Italy with 104 RAF and in a crew of 5 .

He was later seconded to 31 SAAF & they flew Liberators with 8 crew [sometimes 7] with a pilot , co-pilot , navigator,bombaimer , gunners , rear gunner , wireless op [I think but not sure] .

Anne