Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of Moral Fbre

Thanks

Default Lack of Moral Fbre

Are there any bona-fide figures available concerning the number of Bomber Command aircrew that were accused of having a 'LMF' in WW2?
    I have never seen any official documentation on the subject and wondered if there were any official figures ever released. LMF numbers suggested by many sources on the internet vary wildly.
    Anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks

Tom,

The book "The Cream of the Crop: Canadian aircrew, 1939-1945", by Allan Douglas English, has two chapters on LMF. I read it a while ago and thought it was pretty good. English has also contributed a chapter on LMF in Bomber Command in the book "The Insubordinate and the Noncompliant: Case Studies of Canadian Mutiny and Disobedience, 1920 to Present".

Rob

Thanks

Tom
    Putting it in an emotional and perhaps feminine way I'm surprised there weren't more WW2 airmen accused of LMF .Having to get into rickety bombers day after day ,often after seeing planes crash on take off and landing or going down in flames on missions , must have taken some nerve or did the men just think "it won't happen to me today " or survive by performing crew rituals of entering the plane or taking a lucky charm with them ?

Or the comradeship of a crew kept them going

Even though these bombers appear rickety to me it's amazing how many planes arrived back at base intact after being shot at ,holes in the fuselage , corkscrewing , losing engines etc .

I was told that my father sat and polished his shoes immediately after returning from a mission before meeting friends at the "homemade " base pub -a ritual ,a release of tension or just preparing for the next day ?

Anne

Thanks

Default Lack of Moral Fbre

As a riding question to this subject. Would Lack of Moral Fibre apply to an airman, who maybe, completed one tour and for whatever reason refused to carry on flying midway through a second tour?

Would Lack of Moral Fibre also strip him of any medals gained from past hazardous flying duties?

Steve

Thanks

Default LMF

Quote Originally Posted by Taff_S View Post
    As a riding question to this subject. Would Lack of Moral Fibre apply to an airman, who maybe, completed one tour and for whatever reason refused to carry on flying midway through a second tour?

Would Lack of Moral Fibre also strip him of any medals gained from past hazardous flying duties?

Steve
    Don't know about the medals but I have a great story from an ex-149 guy who did 1 tour then was "stitched" into a second from a "resting" tour before being accused of LMF. When it reached Court Martial it was thrown out immediately .

Alan F

Thanks

There's a good article on the subject on the "Shot at Dawn" website. The article is written by Doug Harvey, ex RCAF pilot. Click on the "Cowards" link.
    I myself am a firm believer in the same treatment for LMF cases, as the WW1 soldiers shot for alleged cowardice, and that's a full pardon.

Thanks

Default LMF

Thanks to all for your replies.
    I will certainly follow up the book leads.
    Those numbers certainly are elusive!

Thanks

Default LMF Figures

For those that may be interested, I have asked the MoD for the figures via the Freedom of Information Act.

Thanks

Tom,

John Terraine devotes a chapter to the subject in The Right of the Line (Chapter 64)

He initially states Office of Judge Avocate is only able to state numbers of Courts-Martial - no breakdown is available, even between air and ground crew, no indication of offences charged nor sentences passed.

So it looks like a no go for your FOI.

Elsewhere in the chapter a figure of 0.3% of total aircrew for one small period sample of Bomber Command were subject to forfeiture of Commanding Officers' confidence.

By June 1944 BC contained 155,510 men and women.

The chapter states The numbers of men who failed to pass the test are by that comparison trivial.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default LMF

Thanks Ross,
    Another book I must get!
    I'm not too surprised that the figures are so difficult to find, though I feel sure that somebody within the RAF hierarchy would have had a keen interest in just how many men were suffering in this way.
    Of course it is quite possible - perhaps probable - that no such record still exist.
    Tom