Thread: Airmens' Graves at Bircham, Norfolk

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Airmens' Graves at Bircham, Norfolk

An interesting site I chanced upon - might be of use to someone.

http://www.norfolkwargraves.org.uk/summary.htm

Regards:
    Robert

Thanks

Default Linda

Yes-the churchyard at St Mary's ,Great Bircham is near to me.It is beautifully kept and quite a moving place to sit and reflect actually as there are also 11 German Graves as well as the 66 Commonwealth Graves,as well as 2 army,1 naval and one WAAF.The first WW 2 grave is one of the German airman Emil Rodel and the first British casualty was gunner Frederick Pile who was part of the Anti aircraft defence of Bircham Newton Airfield.
    Brian Hillman has compiled a booklet detailing all that are buried with some photo's. and details on all the airmen plus an un identified RAF pilot Officer who was recovered from the sea as well as an American( F/O R C Porter,pilot 521 Sqdn kia 4-10-1942 serving with the RAF who joined before America entered the war
    There is now a museum at Bircham also which i hope to get to eventually

Thanks

I did a lot of the research into the Germans buried at Gt Bircham, and passed it to Norfolk author and researcher Peter Gunn. It subsequently appeared on this site in almost word-perfect form but credited elsewhere.

I cannot however, take any credit for the excellent gen on the Allied airmen buried here.
    It is a very useful listing to have if researching incidents in this area.

Regs,

BC