Thread: Norwegian hero, Asborn Ludwigsen

Thanks

Default Norwegian hero, Asborn Ludwigsen

Also spelled Ludwigson, born in 1913. This man is mentioned in "Contact" (station Trenton magazine), April 1943. He was described as a former civil pilot and merchant seaman. He was caught up in the operations in northern Norway in May 1940, swam a frigid river to effect the rescue and evacuation of British soldiers, and was awarded the Military Cross.

He found his way to Canada and enlisted in the RCAF in April 1942. He went through pilot training until February 1943, when he was grounded (according to the article) by eyesight problems. In April 1943 he was reclassified as "Tradesman" and reduced in rank to AC2. It would appear that the RCAF could find no position that suited either his disposition or skills, for he was dischargedon 3 February 1944. At the time he was released in Port Arthur, Ontario (now part of the Thunder Bay). I suspect that he returned to Norway following the German surrender.

I would like to follow up on this career, but it is unlikely that I can see his service file unless I can provide proof of death, 20 years or more ago. Can anyone supply information about the man, before 1940 or after 1945, and particularly any guidance as to whether he is deceased and if so, when and where ?

Thanks

Hugh
    I guess you have the reference to the Montral Gazette
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1946&dat=19420429&id=Z3gtAAAAIBAJ&s jid=3JgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5931,5097820

and to
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7695717

I'll try to ask some of my Norwegian contacts in case they do not see your entry.

First name Asbjorn or Asbjørn, not Asborn.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

I've checked my references, and neither Asbjørn Ludwigsen/Ludwigson, or the more likely Ludvigsen, shows up. I've also checked the phone directory for Norway. Several Asbjørn Ludvigsen show up, but they are still active working people.

Stein

Thanks

I'm wondering about the likelihood that the name is changed. Many Norwegians abroad were reluctant to give their real names in fear of consequenses for those back home. I seem to remember a story about Johannes Greiner somewhere, the pics were clearly of him, but in the story he was Johannes something-else. (But the mention of Asbjørn being the 1. Norw. MC recipient would be an easy puzzle for German intell anyway, I guess)

And there is no mention of any Ludv/wig/kse/on in Odd Arnesens summary of pilots before the war... and no Asbjørn Ludwhatever born in Degernes/Rakkestad 1910-1916.

Thanks

Default Asbjorn LUDWIGSEN

Quote Originally Posted by HughAHalliday View Post
    Also spelled Ludwigson, born in 1913. This man is mentioned in "Contact" (station Trenton magazine), April 1943. He was described as a former civil pilot and merchant seaman. He was caught up in the operations in northern Norway in May 1940, swam a frigid river to effect the rescue and evacuation of British soldiers, and was awarded the Military Cross.

He found his way to Canada and enlisted in the RCAF in April 1942. He went through pilot training until February 1943, when he was grounded (according to the article) by eyesight problems. In April 1943 he was reclassified as "Tradesman" and reduced in rank to AC2. It would appear that the RCAF could find no position that suited either his disposition or skills, for he was dischargedon 3 February 1944. At the time he was released in Port Arthur, Ontario (now part of the Thunder Bay). I suspect that he returned to Norway following the German surrender.

I would like to follow up on this career, but it is unlikely that I can see his service file unless I can provide proof of death, 20 years or more ago. Can anyone supply information about the man, before 1940 or after 1945, and particularly any guidance as to whether he is deceased and if so, when and where ?
    Asbjorn LUDWIGSEN has an index card in a file in The National Archives, Kew reference HS17 Scandinavian Index. The index card (one of several hundred) has reference 450/4634 and states: "Was chauffeur at British Legation in OSLO. Discharged from NORWEGIAN Air Force for drunkenness and careless use of firearms. Awarded M.C. Was at sea in Merchant Navy, period unknown. Believed to be both romantic and romancer."