Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF WW11, Accidental Death in Germany, August 1945.

Thanks

Default RAF WW11, Accidental Death in Germany, August 1945.

RAF - WW11 Accidental Death in GERMANY in August 1945.
    Hello,Im new to this site, which was recommended to me by a Relative who thought that someone might be able to help/advise me in the following matter:
    -------------------
    Whilst recently searching for a relative of my Father, I discovered that he had served in the RAF during WW2 and that he died in August 1945.
    I've now got a copy of his Death Cert which states that the cause of death was the "Accidental discharge of a revolver".
    I would like to know more about the circumstances surrounding his death but the death certificate does not mention an Inquest/Board of Inquiry at all, which made me wonder about the circumstances surrounding his death.
    The heading in the main information box on the Cert reads:
    "Return of Air Force Personnel Killed in Action or who have died while on Service Abroad In the War of 3rd September 1939 - 30th June 1948".
    The other details show Name,Rank & Unit,Age, Country of Birth,Date of Death, Place of Death and Cause of Death.
    I have no information regarding any relatives who may exist. I do know that his Widow remarried in the 1960's and passed away about 10 years ago.He had a daughter but I have no info on her at all.
    I have been able to purchase a photo of his Grave through the War Graves Commission but I would have liked to know a bit more about him really so I wondered if someone on this site might be able to help.
    1).Because his death occurred during the War, does that mean that an Inquest/Board of Inquiry into his death would not have been held?
    2).Can anyone advise as to how I might be able to obtain more information, bearing in mind that I am not his next of kin?
    3). Is it possible for me to get a copy of his Record of Service and if so, is it likely that more details concerning the circumstances surrounding his death would be included?
    Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Barbara.

Thanks

Hi Barbara

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure others will be able to give you relevant advice, but just a couple of issues. The war in Europe ended in May 1945, so he did not actually die during the war. Secondly, accidental death would imply that he did not commit suicide.

Best
    Brian

Thanks

Barbara,
    If you're his daughter then just tell Cranwell that you are his NoK. His Service Record should be made available to you. There are a number of threads on this forum which will give you the way to access the Disclosures Section at Cranwell - and many that will tell you what the gobbledegook and acronyms on the Service Record actually mean.
    You must bear in mind, though, that the deeper you delve into past histories you may come up with some unpalatable facts. At the time, they were hidden under 'trite official phrases' so as (to quote Queen Victoria) 'not to frighten the horses'.
    Go for it. We'll help all we can!!
    HTH
    Peter
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Brian, thanks for the welcome.

I take your point about the end of War in Europe in May 1945.

I have to say though that I am somewhat confused by this heading on his Death Cert:

The heading in the main information box on the Cert reads:
    "Return of Air Force Personnel Killed in Action or who have died while on Service Abroad In the War of 3rd September 1939 - 30th June 1948".

A bit puzzled.

Cheers

Barbara.

Thanks

Hello Resmoroh, thanks for your reply.

For ease I will call my relative 'JEC' and unfortunately, I am not his daughter and I have no idea whether or not he has any NOK still alive.
    Jec was my Father's cousin (once removed) and our families completely lost touch after he died. My Father always wondered what had really happened but never did find out.

I would just like to be able to get a copy of Jec's service record, just to know a bit more about him.My Father passed away in 1984 so there's no-one else of the era left in the family.

I will try and find the threads about the Disclosure Section at Cranwell.

Thanks for your help & interest.

Barbara.

Thanks

Can i just add that the GRO Death Certificate is correct with it's WW2 dates of 1939-1948, just as the Great War is listed as 1914-1921.

Thanks

Thanks for that Alan.

For official purposesDoes that rhen mean that my relative JEC would be classed as dying during WW11, with his death being in August 1945?

Cheers

Barbara.

Thanks

Barbara,

I think the answer is yes. My father's cousin, a corporal in the RAF, died of illness in November 1945 and his grave is marked with a CWGC headstone.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Default RAF records

You can apply for service details from the RAF see here ;

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

a fee of 30 BUT you will probably only get details of postings and promotions and a printout of an abbreviation list to help decipher.

Bob

Thanks

Hello daveW,

Thanks for the confirmation. I hoped it would be correct because I do have a photo (courtesy of CWGC) of my relative's Grave in a Military Cemetery in Germany.

Cheers

Barbara.