Thread: AFC recommendation and 529 squadron history.

Thanks

Default AFC recommendation and 529 squadron history.

Can anyone advise where I can locate the recommendation for the AFC awarded to Henry Alan Marsh who was the Commanding Officer of No. 529 Squadron. This Squadron, the only rotary wing squadron in the RAF during WW2, was equipped with Cierva C30 and C40 Autogiros, and its duties were primarily calibration of the ‘highly secret’ home radar chain located around the coast of Britain. He was awarded an Air Force Cross in the New Year’s Honours list of 1st January 1945. Does anyone know if there was any sort of history of this squadron published?

Would the recommendation for an AFC awarded in 1979 still be with the RAF/MOD?
    Thanks,
    Allan

Thanks

Allan, Hi,
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you Google '529 Sqn RAF' you will probably get as much as is available (and on its predecessor 1448 Flt). If the Sqn ORB (and those of Halton and RAF Henley) still exist you might get more. There is a history of RAF Henley, and I think its author may be a member of this forum.
    Good luck
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

MARSH, Harry Alan, S/L (70446, RAFVR) - No.529 Squadron, Fighter Command - Air Force Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1945. Public Record Officer Air 2/8959 (material provided courtesy of Steve Brew) has citation, drafted when he had flown 5,700 non-operational hours (143 in previous six months).

"This officer commands the squadron and has an outstanding flying record. Whilst at the Unit he has given to the full of his previous knowledge of Autogyro technique and has produced a highly serviceable and efficient Unit. The operation of the autogyros on the Azimuth calibration of CH Stations has consistently been of the highest standard, a result which has been achieved mainly through this officer’s personal contribution. He has received a succession of pilots completely ignorant of rotary wing technique and not only has he trained them to be good gyro pilots but he has also provided them with the extra knowledge and experience necessitated by the special requirements of calibration work. He has proved himself singularly receptive of new ideas and has co-operated to the full in providing special flying for various experimental projects. Under his leadership, the squadron has obtained and maintained a high reputation in all aspects of the work."

Thanks

The 529 Squadron ORB is in the National Archives (file AIR 27/2000/2) and covers Oct 1943 to Nov 1945.

Brian

Thanks

This forum is unbelievable. Within a very short time of posting my query I had the answers I was looking for. My sincere thanks go to Peter, Hugh and Brian for their kind assistance and direction. I just hope to be in the position return the favour one day.

Allan