Thread: Which Hospital for this pilot

Thanks

Default Which Hospital for this pilot

Again a long shot , hope someone can help .
    I have a pilot , serving with a Spitfire Sqd ,14/4/41, Shot down and lost arm 12/8/41 , POW AND HOSPITAL ST-OMER ,SHARING A ROOM WITH DOUGLAS BADER .?
    This Pilot Medically REPATRIATED TO UK OCT 1943 , Hospital in uk from OCT 43 TO MARCH 44 .then Surprsingly after Training etc Returned to Flying , Non Operationaly .
    my Question is this , WAS there a set Convalescent home /Hospital where AIRCREW were sent with injuries of this nature , any details would be most helpfull
    TIA PHILL JONES

Thanks

Phill,
    Can't answer your question directly however this might help. My father, RCAF Coastal Command pilot, had crewed up and was in the last stage of training at 5(c) OTU Turnberry in Sept 1942 (Hampden torpedo bomber). Somehow he developed a medical condition (bleeding ears/sinus at altitude) and was medically grounded. He had at least two surgeries (the first one didn't work) in the UK and convalesced at the hospital (converted hotel) in Turnberry for a time. I think because pilots were still in very short supply they kept him in the UK for a long time hoping for a full recovery back to flying status. When 5(c) OTU moved to Long Kesh he moved as well. This went on for nine months! No flying according to his log book during this time. Then four months between Abbotsinch and Manchester. During this time there were several meetings with a medical review board I would assume for assessment and next steps. Finally he was sent back to Canada Oct 1943 - sent on a "Pilot Refresher Training Course" at the SFTS in Saskatoon. He resumed flying as a staff pilot at 5 B&G School Dafoe until the school was shut down in January 1945, logging many hours. His condition was never completely resolved to resume flying in an operational squadron.

Cheers
    Rodger

Thanks

Default which hosptal

Hi Rodger , thank you for your input , your comments duly noted cheers phill