Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February 1943 - 2

Thanks

Andy and Henk,

Many thanks for those confirmations.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,

I can confirm the details for Pieter Robert Marie VAN DER HEIJDEN 541 Sqn. His rank was S/L and the objectives of the sortie were: The Hook, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Terrengen (?) (probably Terneuzen).

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Thanks Andy

Thanks

Default For Col

Please Col have a look at message # 9 of this thread re Wellington HX602 (HX722) 7th or 17th Feb 1943.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

For anyone still following this thread.

6 Feb 1943

Mustang I, AG632 of No 613 Sqn
    Fg Off PEAKE, ALAN MORRISON (122230) RAFVR; age: 21

I can confirm that F/O A M Peake was with 63 Sqn
    From the 63 SQN ORB

I have him flying from Odiham. They were on a Rhubarb over France with 613 SQN. There were 2 aircraft with F/O B Thirtle as the second aircraft.

Peake was flying near Burgess Hill and hit high ground. It only says near Burgess Hill.

I cant confirm the aircraft serial number at this point but AG632 is listed as hitting high ground near Brighton, Sussex.

While this is not too far a stretch to imagine it as the same aircraft I would still like to try and confirm this somehow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McIntosh View Post
    For anyone still following this thread.

6 Feb 1943

Mustang I, AG632 of No 613 Sqn
    Fg Off PEAKE, ALAN MORRISON (122230) RAFVR; age: 21

I can confirm that F/O A M Peake was with 63 Sqn
    From the 63 SQN ORB

I have him flying from Odiham. They were on a Rhubarb over France with 613 SQN. There were 2 aircraft with F/O B Thirtle as the second aircraft.

Peake was flying near Burgess Hill and hit high ground. It only says near Burgess Hill.

I cant confirm the aircraft serial number at this point but AG632 is listed as hitting high ground near Brighton, Sussex.

While this is not too far a stretch to imagine it as the same aircraft I would still like to try and confirm this somehow.
    Hello,

CUCKFIELD RURAL DISTRICT.

One of the many flying accidents in the county which would claim the life of Allied airmen happened on 6th February 1943, when RAF Mustang AG632 descended from low cloud and flew headlong into a hill at Woolstonbury, Pycombe, catching fire. Pilot Officer A Peake of 613 Squadron was on an Operational sortie and died instantly on impact with the Downs.

See:
    Bombers Over Sussex 1943-45
    Burgess,Pat & Andy Saunders
    Midhurst:Middleton Press,1995.
    pp.45 & 93.

Col.

Thanks

Default Re: 17 February 1943

Hello, Forumites
    I am studying Wellingtons built at Weybridge and have come against a “stumbling block” On 17 February 1943, the aircraft of Sgt Knox crashed on landing at Shallufah. The 458 ORB - Records of Events (not the sharpest of print) has various anomalies; on first glance, it seems the serial number of Sgt Knox’s aircraft was HX594, yet that particular aircraft was involved in an incident on the 6th February. Were the details of aircraft/crews “the plan” for an operation, or were they written up post op.... Could an aircraft “go tech” and the change not be recorded in the ORB (which is what I suspect)? Would be interested in peoples thoughts.....
    regards
    Andy WIS

Thanks

Form 1180 for Knox on 17 Feb 1943 is for HX722

Cat E on 6 Feb 43 is for HX594

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 19th November 2020 at 19:03.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you for that, Ross. How come the ORB (Record of Events) gives a different serial number for Knox’s aircraft?

Andy

Thanks

The ORB scribe was an assigned additional task - some scribes were accurate some were not - finally it was up to the OC as to what accuracy he would sign off.

No.201 ORB for mid 1940 had two scribes - one for detachment and one for main base - one recorded full crews, one only Captain and officers.

No.22 scribe for 1944 is more concerned writing up the sporting fixtures and results of the Great Rat hunt that he barely mentions Op flights.

A unit scribe during BoB says that writing up the previous days Form541 he just looked out the dispersal window and recorded the serials he could see on the flight line against the roster.

How would you write up the registrations of cars in an office car park if you had not worked that day?

Form 541 is the most error prone followed by Form 540.

Form 1180 was visited several times to record info so had the ability to be corrected by numerous clerks and was seen by more senior Air Ministry Airship's on a daily basis than the ORBs.
    Errors still happen in F1180s but they are few.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 20th November 2020 at 06:30.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015 to 2021 - All rights reserved.