Thread: 82 wing

Thanks

Default 82 wing

At the start of WWII my father was serving in the RAF. In Sep '39 he was posted to No. 82 Wing Servicing Flight at Cranfield. The next entry on his records is 4 Servicing Flight. His next posting was to Servicing Flight Cosford in June 1940. I know that he was in France at the beginning of the war. What I would like to know is;

What did 82 Wing do and when / where were they in France.
    I would be very grateful to all you fonts of knowledge for any help you may be able to give.

Thanks

Phil.
    Last edited by PHILRIGGER; 24th November 2011 at 12:40.

Thanks

I have a reference to 82 Wing as comprising 114 and 139 Sqns of the Advanced Air Striking Force. They were part of the second echelon destined for France and both were equipped with Blenheims.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what they did as a servicing unit but presumably, they moved around with the sqns.

Both sqns handed their aircraft to other sqns and were withdrawn from France during May.

114 were based at Conde/Vraux on 9 Dec 39 with detachments at Perpignan and La Salanque (might be same place) and 18 May they were at Moyencourt, the following day at Crecy and then to UK.

139 went to Betheniville on 1 Dec 39, moved to Plivot on 15 Feb and to Poix on 18 May. They also returned to UK the following day.

This information comes from Jefford RAF Squadrons and The Battle of france Then and Now, as well as RAF Flying Training and Support Units.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default 82 Wing

Thank you OD. The info does fit into the little of what I do remember my father telling me many years ago.
    I do have Jefford's book but I could not find reference to 82 Wing. I am now trying to find a copy of The Battle of France, then and now.

Thanks again.

Philrigger.
    (See you on Pprune?)

Thanks

Yes, you'll see me on pprune.

"Battle of France Then and Now" has references to the squadrons within 82 Wing but there is (perhaps inevitably) little mention that I can see for the work of the guys who kept the show on the road.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default The Battle of france Then and Now

Thanks for that lead OD. The book is great for my purposes. I have already found a number of answer to when and where my Dad was during the early part of the war. The entries I have for '4 Servicing flight' and 'Cosford' tie in with the dates on his records. Also he was at No. 7 B&GS and I found entries for that too. Nodoubt I will find more as I plough through the many pages. The book contains many photographs that I have not come across before.

Thanks again.

Phil.

Thanks

Default The Battle of france Then and Now and RAF Flying Training and Support Units

Thanks for that lead OD. The books are great for my purposes. I have already found a number of answers to when and where my Dad was during the early part of the war. The entries I have for '4 Servicing flight' and 'Cosford' tie in with the dates on his records. Also he was at No. 7 B&GS and I found entries for that too. No doubt I will find more as I plough through the books. The books contains many photographs that I have not come across before.

Thanks again.

Phil.