Thread: 2/LT JACK PITT Royal Flying Corps Killed 7th February 1918

Thanks

Default 2/LT JACK PITT Royal Flying Corps Killed 7th February 1918

Hi All,

Conducting a little research into some local airmen and found this man in Mottram-in-Longdendale churchyard. He was apparently killed in a flying accident on 7th Feb 1918, flying from Catterick, Yorks. His CWGC entry states 46 Sq but I believe they were in Europe at this time, so was he at Catterick prior to going to the Squadron? or had he served overseas and was there as an instructor perhaps or for further training? Also what aircraft was he flying at the time of his death?

Any help as always, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Dave.

Thanks

Dave,

He was killed while flying DH4 A7748 with No 46 TRAINING Squadron at Catterick. The aircraft 'stalled and crashed after dive'.

(Air-Britain's 'The D.H.4/D.H.9 File by Ray Sturtivant and Gordon Page)

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol,

Didn`t have that Ray Sturtivant volume, so this is a great help.

Don`t know if you can answer me this one Errol, having not ever done a great deal of research on WW1 aircraft. Is there an equivalent of the RAF form 1180 loss card for non-Operational accidents for WW1 ?

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,

The RAF Museum holds a large collection of RFC/RAF casualty cards that appear to cover most/all accidents involving injury (not just aircraft but also sporting injuries, illness, etc) of WWI and up to about 1924. They are to a quite different format to the 1180 and on average contain substantially less detail, but court of inquiry results are usually summarised briefly and next of kin information is often recorded on the reverse of the form. Occasionally more than one card has been raised for the same event.

Errol

Thanks

Thanks Errol,

Very helpful that! Wish the UK was as free with information as other countries though, you can bet your life they charge for these records. I wanted my Grandads Army service record and I told them that his wife had died 37 years ago, and his daughter 10 years ago, so I was next of kin. They still wanted 30. So much for our Freedom of Information act eh!

Regards
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,

Try asking the RAF Museum for Pitt's "Army Form B. 103c (Casualty card)". Despite its name it could well contain details of the whole of Pitt's RFC career (movements). I have one for one of my subjects who served in the RFC/RAF from June 1915 until May 1919 and it contains all his movements as well as details of illness.

I don't know how extensive the archive is, but it's well worth a try.

There are also three brief entries in Flight:
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1917/1917%20-%201059.html?search=Pitt
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1918/1918%20-%200190.html?search=Pitt
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1918/1918%20-%200213.html?search=Pitt

Brian
    Last edited by Lyffe; 25th November 2011 at 18:43. Reason: Sentence construction

Thanks

Thanks Brian,

I`ll ask Hendon for that card.

Thanks too for the links, I had already tried his name in Flight Global a few times but couldn`t bring anything up, so amazed you found this, you must have the knack!

Regards
    Dave