Thread: Sgt Crawforth, 235 Squadron 5-7 May 1941

Thanks

Default Sgt Crawforth, 235 Squadron 5-7 May 1941

I'm trying to find a bit more information on this pilot, Sgt Bernard Lawrence Terrance Crawforth 742675, his was one of 3 aircraft patrolling near the Danish coast on 5 May 1941 when attacked, the other 2 aircraft made it home but had lost contact with him, it was assumed he was shot down in the sea - he was apparently recoved wounded 2 days later off Ile Langeoog but died of his wounds (CWGC has date of death as the 5th), I'm interested to hear more about his aircraft and any other information on him and his crew.

Regards

Alistair Taylor

Thanks

Default Sgt Crawforth, 235 Squadron 5-7 May 1941

Hi Alistair,

Don`t know if you already have the following :

Blenheim IV Z5742 235 SQ. LA-A

5th May 1941. T/o along with another squadron aircraft from Bircham Newton at 08.30 for Danish Sweep.
    Shot down by Me 110s during an attack on a Convoy off Borkum. Sgt Crawforth and Sgt Robertson rest in Sage War Cemetery while Sgt Blackford has no known grave and is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Crew:

SGT B.L.T. CRAWFORTH. 742675.
    SGT C.D.ROBERTSON. 970095.
    SGT W.K.BLACKFORD. 944341.

(Source Coastal Command Losses Vol 1 1939-41 - Ross McNeill.

Footnote: There is a mention of 2 claims of Blenheims on 5/5/41 by Uffz Bittner of 2 stab NJG2 and Ofw Hans Hahn of 3 stab NJG2. on this site:
    http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories/doc/victories-germany-ww2-1941.pdf

Regards
    Dave
    Last edited by highgroundsman; 24th November 2011 at 19:29.

Thanks

Thanks for the added info, via the forum I have also been in touch with Sgt Crawforths Brother.

From the letter his CO sent to his father he mentions he was part of a 3 aircraft patrol when attacked and that the other 2 aircraft lost sight of him. I've had a look at the 2 claims and they dont seem to relate to this loss, when Sgt Crawforth was found he was near Langeoog which doesnt tie in with the claims.

Thanks again

Alistair