Thread: RAF mission over Rennes 8th to 9th June 1944

Thanks

Default RAF mission over Rennes 8th to 9th June 1944

My father Harry Steere (DFC, DFM) flew a mosquito on pathfinder duty together with his navigator Kenneth Gale (DFC).
    They were hit by local german batteries at St Jacques and possibly those near the station.
    Both were killed and are buried at St Erblon.
    I have some detail about their last flight but would like to know if anybody knows any more.

Robin Steere

Thanks

Default RAF mission over Rennes 8th to 9th June 1944

Clink this link, from the website absa39-45 :

http://www.absa39-45.com/9%20juin%2044/gale_steere.html

Pierre

Thanks

There is also a digital file on Kenneth Gale in the Australian archives if you search here as a guest: http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/using/search/index.aspx
    There are 32 pages of his service record, one of which indicates that they had transmitted a message that was picked up by another 627 aircraft that said that they had been hit and were on fire.
    You will also see there are two other files there for Gale that have not been digitized and they will likely have quite a bit more detail on the crash and correspondence with his next of kin. There will usally be a letter from their Sqaudron Commander that gives some detail on the operation they were lost on. Usually I find them to be 40- 60 pages.
    Other Mosquitos detailed to Rennes that night were were 3 from 105 Squadron and 2 from 109 Squadron for Oboe marking duties using yellow TIs from 29,000 feet. They reported broken cloud from 5/10ths to 10/10ths with tops at 15-20,000 feet and defences as being nil at their height. I don't have an exact zero hour but likely from 01:15 to 01:30
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 25th November 2011 at 19:16.