Thread: F/L WHITTINGTON, No. 127 Squadron, 2 October 1944

Thanks

Default F/L WHITTINGTON, No. 127 Squadron, 2 October 1944

Hello,

I'm looking for details about F/L Jack WHITTINGTON, 129509, from No. 127 Squadron, hit by Flak during a bombing mission on Calais in the morning. The Squadron had carried out a first mission on Calais in the morning, with 12 Spitfires, and he was lost on the second mission on the same target, which involved 10 Spitfires.

As Calais garrison had surrendered a couple of days before, I think there were still some isoldated German positions which had not surrendered, hence this "late" operation to reduce these pockets. The ORB doesn't contain much detail, apart "bombing gun position near Calais".

As he's buried in Schoonselhof Cemetery, Antwerp, Belgium (III / G / 18), can someone confirm his body was found on a Belgian beach on the North Sea ?

Also, as the cherry on the cake, does anybody has the individual letter of Spitfire IX PT772 ?

TIA

Joss

PS : found an earlier discussion about him : http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?8280-F-Lt-Whittington-Jack

But any new information welcome
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 27th November 2011 at 09:35. Reason: adding PS

Thanks

Joss,
    Have a note that the code was 9N-C and that the body was recovered in May 1948 (not known whether this was from the sea).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Default F/L WHITTINGTON, No.127 Squadron, 2 October 1944

Hi Joss and Henk,

Found a copy of an official list made of all British buried at Schoonselhof before 5 August 1946 and F/Lt.Whittington is not mentioned in this list, so he must have been buried later.

best regards

Luc

Thanks

Hello,

The earlier thread on the subject was mentioning the fact that his body was only recovered in 1948. The attack coordinates mentioned in the form 541 are for Breda area, but the ORB mentions Calais !!!

I'd be interested in any clues about these D or DD coordinates used at that time (these are not, as far as I understand, map coordinates that we can convert with echodelta translator, but I stand to be corrected).

Thanks

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss
    I have quite a bit of information on Whittington.
    The F541 does state 'Gun positions at Calais' This is incorrect.
    The F540 states ' Gun positions D.94/GRJ 2'
    The appendicies to the 2nd TAF ORB gives some more details.
    It states ' Bombing guns at D.930132 8x500 dropped, 6 in T/A F/L Whittington NYR'
    The photo I have is blurred and the reference is difficult to read.( I need to check this next time I'm at the NA)
    The first 127 Sqn mission of the day does not give any grid reference but only states 'Gun positions north of Antwerp'
    D.94/GRJ 2 looks that it refers to the mission number.
    The 332 Sqn ORB has an entry that reads ' ....Task was D.89/GRJ 1' and later that day ' Task D.101/LIL 2'
    My records also have PT772 as '9N C'.
    I have a note that his body was recovered from his crashed aircraft in May 1948.
    Hope this helps.
    Andy

Thanks

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your input. I'm helping my friend Hugues Chevalier for his next book about the air operations against Boulogne-sur-Mer and Calais in September 1944, and I'm checking Wings and Squadrons ORBs in regards of this. I'm also doubling as many of these units were based in my research area for a while (B.57 Lille-Bondues in this case).

Can you tell me the reference(s) of 2nd TAF ORB appendice ?

I'm also looking for a list of the "D" or "DD" or other references of ground attacks (apart from those which are geographical coordinates).

Thanks again

Joss

Thanks

Joss
    The 2nd TAF Daily Logs can be found under AIR 37/711-718.
    If someone can copy the page that lists the mission that F/L Whittington was killed (2 October 1944, AIR 37/715)
    I would be very grateful as the copy I have is blurred.
    Regards
    Andy

Thanks

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the refs. I'll check the period I'm after within the reference you give.

Are these big volumes ?

I'd be happy to send you a digital picture of the page you're seeking ,but I've no idea when I'll return to Kew. I was there 2 weeks ago, and I'm actually "digesting" the digital pictures I took (3600...). I experience sometimes the same problem.

Joss

Thanks

Yes they are quite large.
    I have copied quite a few pages between June 44 and May 45. I started copying all pages but that was taking too long so for most of this period I have only copied the pages where 127 squadron took part.
    I am glad to hear it is not just me that has blurred/missing images when I sort through what I've photographed.
    Andy