Thread: Former 218 Squadron pilots

Thanks

Default Former 218 Squadron pilots

Gents,

A few that I am still having problems with, any help advice welcome. Christian name or service history.

P/O A.M Imrie
    P/O C.A.R Crews ( rtd W/Cdr 1959)
    P/O R J Oxley
    P/O F Fox
    P/O B A Mitchell
    P/O W G Warren

P/O Calvert ( possible W.H or L )
    P/O Ball ( No further details )
    P/O How ( No further details )

P/O A B Olney ( posted to 60 Squadron, India 1936, formerly of No.57 Squadron )

Group Captain G N Warrington ( details on death )

Thank you all in advance

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 28th November 2011 at 12:10.
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,
    Try these:-
    P/O A.M Imrie (Arthur Macdonald (40711))
    P/O C.A.R Crews ( rtd W/Cdr 1959) (Charles Arthur Reginald (37795))
    P/O R J Oxley (Russell John (40150))
    P/O F Fox (TFD)
    P/O B A Mitchell (Basil Alexander (39107))
    P/O W G Warren (George William Gordon (190874) - note different Forenames)
    P/O Calvert ( possible W.H or L ) (William Handley (75849))
    P/O Ball ( No further details ) (TFD)
    P/O How ( No further details ) (TFD)
    P/O A B Olney ( posted to 60 Squadron, India 1936, formerly of No.57 Squadron ) (Alexander Black (37116))
    Group Captain G N Warrington ( details on death ) (D 1945 at HQ RAFNI(28101). GRO RAF War Deaths Vol 14 Page 394. The DC will give precise Location and Cause Of Death).
    HTH
    Peter
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 28th November 2011 at 13:00.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

peter,

Thank you so much I tried the LG and Flight without success, I need to sort this out!!!

Thank you again for your swift reply.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Hi Steve, I have the following notes for Ninian Warrington (he was married in my local church and there is a memorial to him in there):

Ninian Warrington was born on 24th February 1908. He had joined the RAF and been granted a short service commission on 28th June 1929. He learned to fly at No 2 Flying Training School from 15th July 1929 and was then posted to 501 (County of Gloucester) Squadron on 17th June 1930, flying DH.9A and Westland Wapiti bombers. He was promoted to Flying Officer in December 1930, whilst serving with 501 Squadron. On 3rd August 1932 he was posted to an Officers’ engineering course at the Home aircraft depot. On October 23rd 1934, he was posted to the RAF Middle East Depot at Aboukir for engineering duties and was promoted again to Flight Lieutenant on 28th December 1934. On the 1st August 1938 he became a Squadron Leader and was posted to 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron on the 4th November 1938. Ninian was the second in command of the squadron and flew the obsolete Fairey Battle during the ‘Phoney War’ in France. He returned to England after the squadron suffered appalling losses during the Battle of France and was posted to 9 Maintenance Unit (stationed at Cosford). He was promoted to temporary Wing Commander on the 10th December 1940. It was while he was posted in Shropshire and visiting Wrentnall House that he met Quenelda. They married in August 1941 in St Edith's, Pulverbatch.
    In December 1941, Ninian was posted as Commanding Officer of the newly formed 215 Squadron, which was based at Newmarket. Training began on the Wellington aircraft in preparation for ‘overseas posting’ and, in March 1942, the squadron was posted to the Far East, where it conducted supply dropping and bombing missions.
    He was promoted to Group Captain on the 2nd February 1944 and served in 221 Group Head Quarters. He returned to the UK in April 1945 and was posted as Commanding Officer of Aldergrove airfield (now Belfast airport).
    It was while based at Aldergrove that Wing Commander Warrington, his wife Quenelda and two other RAF personnel, F/O David A McGregor and F/O Clarice S Ellis, were, sadly, to be killed. The four of them set sail from Sligo in September 1945 in a sailing boat that Ninian had bought, and were making their way up the coast of Scotland when tragedy struck. On the 8th September, while sailing off the north west of Islay, the boat hit a sea mine killing all those on board. The only body to be recovered was that of F/O McGregor, who was laid to rest in Bowmore Churchyard on Islay.

Should help you,

Tom

Thanks

Steve,

And taking care of the left overs:

P/O F Fox = Frank Hubert Fox (posted 218 Sqn 27 Nov 37, as an APO) Service No. ?
    P/O Ball = Robert Harradan Balls (note spelling of surname) (posted 218 Sqn 23 Oct 37 as APO) Service No. 39594
    P/O How = either (most likely) Douglas James How (posted to 61 Sqn, repeat 61 Sqn, 15 Mar 37, according to the March 1938 AFL) Service No. 37806
    or Richard Graham How (an APO on probation in the RAFO dated 9 May 37) Service No. ?

Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 28th November 2011 at 21:42.

Thanks

Dear Errol & Tom,

Thank you both so very much for the details, amazed. !!

All the best from a wet and miserable London.

Steve
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Dear Errol & Tom,

Thank you both so very much for the details, amazed. !!

All the best from a wet and miserable London.

Steve
    Dear Mr Smith
    I know this has nothing to do with the thread but I have being trying to contact you regarding my father Flt. Lieu Ernest Brockhurst as you said you had information on him. I have tried sending a PM but your box is full.
    I would be grateful for any information.
    Thanks treganna