Thread: Airfield terminology.

Thanks

Default Airfield terminology.

I have a plan of RAF Graveley ( from the Hendon Museum) and its shows ‘Defence Post’ –more than one and ‘Technical Site’. What would have gone on in these areas?
    TIA
    Paul H.

Thanks

Hi,

Technical site(s) were usually adjacent or close to the flyong field and consisted of all the ancillary buildings not concerned with sleeping or ablutions.

They consisted of Hangars, store, test houses, workshops, MT section, SHQ, SSQ, synthetic training buildings, bomb dumps and fuzing buildings etc.

Defence points were just that ie pillboxes, machine gun emplacements, slit trenches etc. all involved in defending the serodrome from air and ground attack.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks for explanation Ross. Its one of those obvious questions that sometimes don't have an obvious answer. I take it 'MT'=motor transport, 'SHQ'=station head quarters and 'SSQ'= station sick quarters,
    Paul H

Thanks

MT actually means Mechanical Transport, but essentially the same thing.

Thanks

Ian,
    I stand corrected. Must do better!!!
    Paul H.

Thanks

Paul H,
    No need to feel bad about thinking "MT" means Motor Transport - I frequently ask younger members of the RNZAF the full meaning of this abbreviation and usually get the "Motor" answer (the abbreviation MT as such is still officially in use out here, and probably still is with the British armed forces.) However if you look it up in the appropriate administrative manuals it will give give the correct meaning. However a quick check in my Pocket Oxford gives "Motor Transport" as the meaning (this is the 4th revised edition, as printed 1959!) The original abbreviation must have been dreamed up in the late 19th century with the introduction of motor and steam-powered vehicles (often prime movers) which had just started to replace the traditional horse, mule and (sometimes) camel power which the Army had previously relied upon. Incidentally it was for this reason that the traditional name for the man in command of horse-drawn vehicles (driver) was modifed for the new, mechanically powered vehicles, with one such term surving into the RAF (and subsequently the RNZAF) being Driver (Petrol) to distinguish them, even after the departure of the last horses (although the "Petrol" part was subsequently dropped).
    David D