Thread: Location of 21 Personnel Transit Camp

Thanks

Default Location of 21 Personnel Transit Camp

I wonder if anybody can help with identifying the correct locaton of 21 PTC in September 1943. According to references at Kew (Air 29/483) it was at RAF Kafareet (Suez). However I've now received a communication from the RAF Air Historical Branch that it was located at RAF El Adem (Tobruk, Libya).

Anybody have any idea which location is correct?

Thanks

According to the 'Geographical Index of RAF Units, December 1944 (Amended to November 23rd 1944),
    No. 21 Personnel Transit CENTRE was located at Kasfareet. It was still there as at 23 May 1945.

The only PTC in Libya at that time was No. 25, at Benghazi, but gone by 23 May 1945.

Errol

Thanks

Hi According to Sturtivant Ray, Hamlin John - RAF Flying Training and Support Units since 1912

No. 21 Personnel Transit CENTRE was located at Kasfareet.
    As for the CAMP/CENTRE there is note tht it was not possible to find out the meaning difference ...

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys, you confirmed what I expected.

It should be Transit Centre not Transit CAMP. My mistake from being too much of a hurry!

Thanks

Interestingly, in the 1944 source that I mentioned 12 Personnel Transit CENTRES are listed under that heading, being numbered between 21 and 53 and all 'operationally controlled by No. 216 Group.'

Elsewhere in the document, under a heading of 'Miscellaneous Units', are listed 4 Transit CAMPS (note; no mention of Personnel in their title) numbered 5, 6, 7 and 10 and all under South-East Asia Command.

In the June 1942 edition of the same document there is no mention of PTCs at all but 5 Transit CAMPS are listed. These are unnumbered but are recorded as being located at Maaten Bagush, Helwan, Almaza, Habbaniya and Aboukir.

Errol
    Last edited by Errol Martyn; 5th December 2011 at 22:22.