Thread: Hms furious

Thanks

Default Hms furious

Hi all,
    Could somebody helps with list of flying personnel of HMS Furious for year 1944.
    Any idea will be warmly appreciated
    TIA
    Milan

Thanks

HMS Furious went into reserve in September 1944 and was used a trials target ship thereafter before being sold for scrap in 1948.

I have no information about the flying units which operated from her in 1944, however, I suggest an enquiry to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at RNAS Yeovilton, Ilchester, Somerset, UK would be a good starting point.

The navy system of recording 'ship's company muster rolls' is not something of which I have any experience. If you tell the museum staff exactly what you are seeking, I'm sure they will do their best to help.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Munro,
    The squadrons and support units will be recorded in The Navy List. This is a record of which units and officers were assigned to ships and shore installations on given dates. It will give every officer in the squadron and, since it was updated at regular intervals, allows for tracing movements in, out of and between units.
    A complete set of the Navy List for 1944 is held at The National Archives, Kew.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

I'm not sure the Navy List will give details of a ship's complement in 1944, if it was like the Air Force Lists, which ceased publishing personnel listings for units below Command level after January 1939 and at Command level they only published the main appointments.

For listings of all personnel at Command and Group level you need the Confidential Air Force Lists but nothing below Group level is listed.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi Malcolm,
    The Navy List carried on giving this level of detail after the Air Force list made its changes. I suppose it was possible because of the smaller numbers of officers concerned.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce

Thanks

Hi Bruce

Thanks for that I just assumed it was stopped as security measure.

Malcolm

Thanks

I made a mistake. Malcolm, you are quite right, the Navy List did stop reporting the crew of squadrons at sea from around the end of 1943/early 1944. The names of landbased aircrew remained in some cases.

Milan, I would suggest contacting the Naval Historical Branch at Portsmouth who might have a list. The Fleet Air Arm Museum may have a list but it is likely they will refer you to The National Archives where the Squadron Diaries and ships logs are kept. I have checked and TNA resources will not produce a list of crew but a good start would be the ADM Pink Lists (ADM187 series of files) which will tell you what squadrons were assigned to Furious on a given date: for example 1840, 801, 842 and 880 were on her books in July 1944. It isnít the answer you asked for, but it is a start.

Sorry about the bad info in the earlier post, must get more sleep.